Bonding at meter with breaker or emergency disconnect?

gray96

New User
Occupation
Electrical contractor
I’m installing a 200 amp service at a new construction. The meter socket has a 200 amp breaker and is installed 300 feet from house. I’m putting an emergency disconnect on house. Do I have to considered the breaker at meter the first means of disconnect and bond there? Or can I just run 3 wire to house and bond at emergency disconnect?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMO, the breaker at the meter is too far away to be classified as an Emergency Disconnect and would be a Service Disconnect and you would need 4 wire to the house and GES at both locations,.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
IMO, the breaker at the meter is too far away to be classified as an Emergency Disconnect and would be a Service Disconnect and you would need 4 wire to the house and GES at both locations,.

In the 2020 NEC that's indeed a matter of opinion but in 2023 NEC specifies the emergency disconnect be 'within sight' which means not more than 50ft.

I’m installing a 200 amp service at a new construction. The meter socket has a 200 amp breaker and is installed 300 feet from house. I’m putting an emergency disconnect on house. Do I have to considered the breaker at meter the first means of disconnect and bond there? Or can I just run 3 wire to house and bond at emergency disconnect?
Who or what is requiring you to have a disconnect at the meter? If you want to run 3-wire why not just have a meter socket only?