Bonding at remote service disconnect

justanotherone

New User
Occupation
Property Inspector
Hi I am a property inspector and run into this on going debate with several properties here in VT. The issue is when there is a meter with a service disconnect located on the exterior (not too common around here). My understanding is that at this location, no matter where it is (on a pole 100 yards away from the house or on the side of the house) a driven rod is needed and the neutral and ground shall be bonded in the main service disconnect. Any panel located downstream from this location needs to have 4 wires brought to it and all neutral and grounds need to be separated. I have met a few electricians who claim that if there are ground rods driven in at the remote panel (sub panel) then a fourth wire does not need to be brought from the main service disconnect location. Is this correct? Most recently a licensed electrician is claiming that at 2004, this was allowed and can remain as is. TIA

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The electrician is correct, before the 2005 cycle you didn't need an EGC for a detached building however there could not be any potential parallel neutral path, this could be a phone line, metallic water system, antenna wiring, ...........

Today the detached building does in fact have to have a Grounding Electrode System as well as the Equipment Grounding Conductor (4th wire).

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
This involves exception 1 to 260.32(B)(1). The electrician is essentially correct.

When there is no green wire run to the separate building, there should be a ground to neutral bond there, not just an electrode.

. I have met a few electricians who claim that if there are ground rods driven in at the remote panel (sub panel) then a fourth wire does not need to be brought from the main service disconnect location.

This involves exception 1 to 260.32(B)(1). The electrician is essentially correct.

When there is no green wire run to the separate building, there should be a ground to neutral bond there, not just an electrode.
Just wanted to emphasize that part of jaggedben's response make sure it wasn't missed.