Bonding Conductor for Telecommunications installed in EMT with 110V circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

gt57

Occupation
RCDD Telecommunications Consultant
An electrician on a job site is installing 110V circuits from power panes to equipment cabinets. He is also responsible for the installation of the Bonding Conductor for Telecommunications (BCT) from the panel to the Telecommunications Main Grounding Busbar (TMGB).

He is using #4 AWG green wire for the BCT in the same 3/4" EMT as the 110V circuit. Average length is 150 feet. TIA-607-B does not address this situation. Does anyone know if this is permitted per the NEC or other codes and could advise me of the code section(s)?

I am not sure but I believe he is using #10 for the circuit. If this is permitted, has he exceeded a fill ratio limitation?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I am not sure but I believe he is using #10 for the circuit. If this is permitted, has he exceeded a fill ratio limitation?
Conductor fill is in chapter 9, depends on if the 4 AWG is insulated or bare. (And your circuit is not 110V is 120V 110 is an obsolete utilization voltage) Ask him to calculate conductor fill. Most of the time I see the BCT not in conduit, its a lot of extra work to pull a 4 AWG thru 3/4".

Status
Not open for further replies.