Bonding Conduit for Service Enterance Equip

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakee911

I'm pretty certain that a nipple of RGS between a meter box and main breaker panel would need to be bonded via a bonding bushing because both panels have eccentric or concentric knockouts. Would both sides need bonding bushings or just one (main breaker panel side)?

The nipple contains 3-4/0 cables for the 240/120, 1ph service. The connection to the ground rod is made in the meter enclosure.

Thx

mcclary's electrical

I'm pretty certain that a nipple of RGS between a meter box and main breaker panel would need to be bonded via a bonding bushing because both panels have eccentric or concentric knockouts. Would both sides need bonding bushings or just one (main breaker panel side)?

The nipple contains 3-4/0 cables for the 240/120, 1ph service. The connection to the ground rod is made in the meter enclosure.

Thx

One if no GEC goes through it, but both ends if GEC passes through nipple. Could you just use PVC?

pete m.

If the grounded conductor is used for bonding at the meter socket and a main bonding jumper is installed at the main breaker panel then I would say that, if you are using bonding bushings, you only need to bond one side of the nipple.

Pete

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A metallic service raceway must be bonded by something other than standard locknuts. Since you have eccentric or concentric KO's you would need a bonding bushing on one side. Both sides do not require bonding.

Status
Not open for further replies.