bonding flexible gas piping in dwelling units

Status
Not open for further replies.

drb

I have noticed more house are installing flexible gas piping sytems. These gas lines have a UV resistant Polyethylene jacket. Does the NEC require these gas systems to be bonded? :eek:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: bonding flexible gas piping in dwelling units

Yes. Its no different than black iron pipe. See 250.104. the supply line is bonded via the circuit to the gas equipment which has an equipment grounding conductor per 250.118

earlydean

What if the gas appliance has no branch circuit feeding it?

drb

250.104(B) States that other metal piping systems attached to a building or structure, including gas piping that may become energized shall be bonded to the service equipment.
This section was revised for the 2002 code to state that gas piping is treated exactly the same as all other metal piping systems within a builing.
The Gastite flexible gas piping installation manual states that when an electrical bonding clamp is required it must be attached to the gastite brass fitting adaptor, a steel manifold, or to a rigid pipe component connected to a gastite fitting. The corrugated stainless steel portion of the piping system SHALL NOT be used as the bonding attachment point under any circumstances.
I have been making all our contractors bond these systems.
This system is new to me and I want to see how other AHJ in other areas were calling this.
I'll appreciate any and all input on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.