Bonding for Hot tub

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a spa that is located within 5' of a house that has aluminum siding. Per 680.43 (D)(4) all metal surfaces within 5' of the spa shall be bonded. I was just curious if anyone else has come across this situation and what methods you used to satisfy this article. Maybe there is an exception that I'm missing? from what I'm reading I will have to bond every lap of siding within the 5' of the spa. Thank you for your assistance.

Buck Parrish

680.26 is for outdoor spas and pools - I agree with Dennis Some kind of lug listed in - 250.8

Or if you could use some kind of non-conductive decorative barrier.

Thankyou for the help. I did find a informational note in the 2020 handbook in 250.116 while searching further. the explanation of the note says that "metal siding on buildings is outside the scope of the NEC and, therefore, is not subject to the requirements for grounding and bonding."

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The handbook is not an official document and I am not sure where they got that from. I would love to see it eliminated even though it doesn't directly mention siding the statement "but not limited to would include siding. This is from the 2020

(7) Fixed Metal Parts.
All fixed metal parts shall be bonded including, but not limited to, metal-sheathed cables and raceways, metal piping, metal awnings, metal fences, and metal door and window frames.
Exception No. 1:
Those separated from the pool by a permanent barrier that prevents contact by a person shall not be required to be bonded.
Exception No. 2:
Those greater than 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of the pool shall not be required to be bonded.
Exception No. 3:
Those greater than 3.7 m (12 ft) measured vertically above the maximum water level of the pool, or as measured vertically above any observation stands, towers, or platforms, or any diving structures, shall not be required to be bonded.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I just had to bond a awning, I am not the smartest but it seems dumb to bond my awning considering it’s attached to a wood building and would never be energized.

Buck Parrish

I just had to bond a awning, I am not the smartest but it seems dumb to bond my awning considering it’s attached to a wood building and would never be energized.
That's right it should say "If likely to become energized"
Mike Holt says you never want to connect something to the equipotential if the NEC does not require it. (Pool Video 1-2 or3 )

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So now any voltage that is in the ground is now on the awning.... The epb can be a bit tricky to determine if the bonding is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.