bonding gas pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickl

quick bonding question on a gas furnace, i bond the gas pipe with my equipment grounding conductor right. one furnace is #12 wire and the second( different job) is a 60 amp circuit, so i can use a #10 egc to bond the gas pipe. correct me if i'm wrong
thanks

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Re: bonding gas pipe

OK.

I'll bite.

A 60A circuit for a gas fired furnace? That's a robust fan motor.

electricmanscott

Just by feeding the gas connected equipment with a circuit that contains a grounding conductor you are bonding your gas pipe. That is all you need to do.

rickl

thanks
so i don't have to run a bonding jumper from where the egc is made up in the unit to the pipe.
al the 60 amp circuit is for a 5 ton furnace-heat pump combo unit

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Originally posted by rickl:
thanks
so i don't have to run a bonding jumper from where the egc is made up in the unit to the pipe.
al the 60 amp circuit is for a 5 ton furnace-heat pump combo unit
That is correct. As Al and Pierre have already said the EGC within the branch circuit is all that you'll need. No further bonding is required.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Actually that was "New Scott" and Pierre. I was just wondering about the nature of a 60A gas fired furnace, life, the universe and everything.

Rickl stating there is also heat pump load brings balance and order to my cosmos.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Originally posted by al hildenbrand:
Actually that was "New Scott" and Pierre. I was just wondering about the nature of a 60A gas fired furnace, life, the universe and everything.

Rickl stating there is also heat pump load brings balance and order to my cosmos.
Oh, your right. Sorry, I should have said Scott and Pierre. Was kind of early this morning.

Trevor

Status
Not open for further replies.