Bonding hand railing

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott minter

Occupation
Associate Engineer
Good Afternoon

I need to bond a removable hand rail. I wanted to use something similar to 1/4 inch RCA jack

a pin and sleeve type connector. The pin would need to accommodate a number 6 fine strand conductor

and the socket would bolt or attach to the steel catwalk. We have a pipe bond clamp that accepts a number 6

for the railing side. Any thoughts ?

If there is an easier better looking way I am open to suggestions.

Thank you.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Why do you need to bond it with a wire? Is there no metal to metal contact between the handrail and some part that is already bonded?

I am not sure the pin you are wanting to bond with is listed for grounding or bonding.

scott minter

Occupation
Associate Engineer
Correct on the RCA jack not being listed. That is my question is there something like that ? Like one pin out of a crouse hinds hazardous location

receptacle ? Yes there is metal to metal connection it is a removable hand rail that fits in a socket. The bond between the two needs to be 2.5 milliohm

or less.

Thanks for your help.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Correct on the RCA jack not being listed. That is my question is there something like that ? Like one pin out of a crouse hinds hazardous location

receptacle ? Yes there is metal to metal connection it is a removable hand rail that fits in a socket. The bond between the two needs to be 2.5 milliohm

or less.

Thanks for your help.

#6 is about .4 ohms/1000 ft.

0.0025 ohms is about 6 feet of cable.

I would not be surprised to find that the contact resistance is more than 0.0025 Ohms.

I would be looking at some kind of direct connection like a machine screw that could be removed when the hand rail has to be taken out.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
How about a ring terminal on one end that ties to a welded threaded stud with a wing nut

I kind of had in mind a compression (ring) terminal connected via a machine screw, but a wing nut and a stud is probably easier and just as good. might even be slightly lower resistance.

I have my doubts about it meeting the resistance spec though.

DAWGS

#6 is about .4 ohms/1000 ft.

0.0025 ohms is about 6 feet of cable.

I would not be surprised to find that the contact resistance is more than 0.0025 Ohms.

I would be looking at some kind of direct connection like a machine screw that could be removed when the hand rail has to be taken out.

This is how we do it if it needs to be removable. We will use a bonding strap though.

scott minter

Occupation
Associate Engineer
Ring lugs and a stud welder is how we are doing the rest of the bonds with a short piece of #6 (M5086/2-6-5).

We were just hoping there might be something that could not be dropped (a nut of any kind) during the hand rail removal.

The are has 100% tool control , meaning tied to your wrist.

Thanks for the suggestions. This might be all we can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.