Bonding in meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

Is a bonding bushing required in a meter pan if using a Meyers hub made up wrench tight?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
First question, are there any eccentric or concentric KO's? Next question, is the hub mentioned in 250.92(B)(2) permitted to be a Myers hub?

If the answer to the first question is yes then bonding bushing required. Second question get a little fuzzy. Eaton Myers Hub specifications say this:

Design features​

• Wide range of styles, trade sizes and materials to meet customer requirements and preferences
  • Multiple certifications provide users peace of mind
  • Easy installation and smooth pulling service for labor savings
  • Tapered female threads for rigid/IMC conduit, NPSM male threads
  • Nut with grounding screw available for added safety
  • Strong, oversize nut with radial serrations is resistant to vibration, assuring flush installation and positive grounding
  • Unique serrations on both nut and hub bite into metal, assuring a positive electrical ground (UL approved for use with service entrance conduit)
In my mind the hub mentioned in 250.92(B)(2) is one of these:
ARP00006CH2CS.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
First question, are there any eccentric or concentric KO's? Next question, is the hub mentioned in 250.92(B)(2) permitted to be a Myers hub?

If the answer to the first question is yes then bonding bushing required. Second question get a little fuzzy. Eaton Myers Hub specifications say this:

In my mind the hub mentioned in 250.92(B)(2) is one of these:
ARP00006CH2CS.jpg
And when you lose those screws you replace them with ones that don't have the features mentioned. :whistle:

Does a Myers hub and it's supplied locknut meet the same criteria as any ordinary locknut? If so then additional methods to assure bonding are needed just like for an ordinary locknut on service raceways.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
And when you lose those screws you replace them with ones that don't have the features mentioned. :whistle:

Does a Myers hub and it's supplied locknut meet the same criteria as any ordinary locknut? If so then additional methods to assure bonding are needed just like for an ordinary locknut on service raceways.
As far as I know the only Myers hubs listed as grounding and bonding equipment are the ones with a tab to connect a bonding jumper, so I would say for the purposes of service bonding they are the same as a locknut.

kwired

Electron manager
As far as I know the only Myers hubs listed as grounding and bonding equipment are the ones with a tab to connect a bonding jumper, so I would say for the purposes of service bonding they are the same as a locknut.
I have never used any additional bonding on them other than for service raceways, which was pretty infrequent but has been done.

Have used myers hubs for years as part of EGC paths never a problem from inspectors never a known problem with integrity of the EGC path.

Not saying they are not listed for this, it just is what it is and seems to be at least reasonably effective EGC path to me. Granted a lot of those cases there is a lot of other metal structure involved and many potential fault carrying pathways anyhow.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That was my thought as well.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Is a bonding bushing required in a meter pan if using a Meyers hub made up wrench tight?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I would say no, but that's a hotly debated subject.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.