Bonding inside disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

slc410

Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I have a 400 amp service disconnect on the exterior of a business, I'm running the 1/0 water bond into the disconnect along with the #4 ufer and ground rod conductors. My question is am I able to split bolt the ufer and ground rod wires inside the disconnect to the 1/0 water bond which will be continuous to the neutral/ground block? Or does this need to be irreversible? The neutral/ground block is limited for available lugs so I'm looking for alternatives

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
You only need one bonding conductor that is unspliced between the neutral bar and one of the grounding electrodes. Call that one your GEC. The other bonding conductors can be bonding jumpers, and they can connect an electrode to the GEC with reversible means, as long as the GEC is at least as large as the bonding jumper needs to be.

Cheers, Wayne

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The #1/0 to the water pipe electrode is the GEC. You can hit the other electrodes with bonding jumpers to the GEC. You can save one connection by eliminating the ground rods.

slc410

Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Thank you for the responses. The ground rods are required by the engineer, otherwise yes I agree the ufer is king. Next question is am I able to split bolt the equipment grounding conductor going to the load panel to the 1/0 GEC in the service disconnect?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Thank you for the responses. The ground rods are required by the engineer, otherwise yes I agree the ufer is king. Next question is am I able to split bolt the equipment grounding conductor going to the load panel to the 1/0 GEC in the service disconnect?
I don't see why not.

I am assuming there is not a grounding buss in the main service enclosure, correct? If not, put one in, IMO it is a cleaner Install than the split bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.