Bonding metal building fed from shed

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
I installed a 400 amp service on a pedestal with a 200 amp disconnect to feed a shop. May add another 200 amp disconnect for future buildings. I know it was an overkill, but that's what the customer wanted. Do I need 2 ground rods at shed if I have 2 at the pedestal. I ran 4/0 (4) conductor from disconnect at pedestal to shop panel. Shop is approximately 50 feet away from pedestal but what if the shop was only 10 or 15 feet away? What got me thinking was a pedestal for a mobile home that has a disconnect and then just the 4 wire ran to the mobile home 10 feet away. It would just have 2 rods at the pedestal and not at the mobile home.

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
Both structures still require electrodes. They could share the same electrodes if close enough.
Would a mobile home require 2 rods at the pedestal and still have to run a #6 up to the panel in the mobile home connected to the 2 rods?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Would a mobile home require 2 rods at the pedestal and still have to run a #6 up to the panel in the mobile home connected to the 2 rods?
Mobile homes are a different animal. They only require the electrodes at the main, or pedestal. They do require a 4-wire feed to the home from the pedestal. Also have to have a #6 from the panel to the frame of the home. My guess is since the mobile homes have to have an anchoring system, the bond to the frame, and the anchoring from the ground to the frame might serve the same purpose as a ground rod. Just my thoughts.

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
Mobile homes are a different animal. They only require the electrodes at the main, or pedestal. They do require a 4-wire feed to the home from the pedestal. Also have to have a #6 from the panel to the frame of the home. My guess is since the mobile homes have to have an anchoring system, the bond to the frame, and the anchoring from the ground to the frame might serve the same purpose as a ground rod. Just my thoughts.
That makes sense. Never thought of it that way. Been a long time since I installed a service for a mobile home and didn't remember the bonding of the panel and that got me thinking about this shop. So 2 ground rods and bonding the metal shop it will be.

I installed a 400 amp service on a pedestal with a 200 amp disconnect to feed a shop. May add another 200 amp disconnect for future buildings. I know it was an overkill, but that's what the customer wanted. Do I need 2 ground rods at shed if I have 2 at the pedestal. I ran 4/0 (4) conductor from disconnect at pedestal to shop panel. Shop is approximately 50 feet away from pedestal but what if the shop was only 10 or 15 feet away? What got me thinking was a pedestal for a mobile home that has a disconnect and then just the 4 wire ran to the mobile home 10 feet away. It would just have 2 rods at the pedestal and not at the mobile home.
Keep 230.40 exception #3 (no disconnects at pedestal, three wire to structures) in mind for these situations in the future 👍🏻