Bonding new pool pump motor to copper outlet pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRDIY

New User
Just replaced the pump motor for my pool that that I believe dates back to the 1960s or even earlier. The old Pentair motor was not bonded and neither is the helper pump for the vacuum. While the motor and filter shed is a good 20 feet from the pool, I still assume that it should be bonded. I've searched the area thoroughly, and there is no bonding wire in sight. The outlet pipe going back to the pool at the filter is, however, copper. This is a pretty old school pool with no ladders, niches, etc. Can I assume that I can effectively bond both the filter and helper motors by securing it to the copper outlet pipe.

Any help would be appreciated.

James

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There is a HUGE shock potential and liability associated with any pool especially with the bonding & grounding. Definitely not a DIY project. Based on your profile and Forum rules I am closing this thread.

[FONT=&quot]I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report.gif
button at the top right corner of the post[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.