Bonding of Concrete without rebar in classified areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Not sure what the codes says, but personally I would want the concrete bonded. Maybe the tank anchor bolts already effectively bond the concrete and tank?

If not, why would the structural engineer care if 20' of copper wire was added to a concrete foundation?

If I were the structural engineer and you couldn't show me a code requirement to add that #4 to my foundation, it wouldn't get added.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If I were the structural engineer and you couldn't show me a code requirement to add that #4 to my foundation, it wouldn't get added.

Why, simply why? Do you think the 20' of copper is going to affect the structural integrity of the foundation?? If so, add a connected chuck of concrete off to the side or on the bottom, so it doesn't have any structural purpose, and put the #4 wire in that.

As an electrical engineer, I'm not going to sign off on plans that don't incorporate a basic safety feature I want, code required or not.

I don't claim to know a lot about structural engineering, but if you have a 60" thick piece of concrete foundation the size of a tank (say maybe 20' in diameter), and no rebar, isn't the foundation going to crack into 1000 pieces anyway? Around here, I think it would from the freeze thaw cycles alone.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Why, simply why? Do you think the 20' of copper is going to affect the structural integrity of the foundation?? If so, add a connected chuck of concrete off to the side or on the bottom, so it doesn't have any structural purpose, and put the #4 wire in that.

As an electrical engineer, I'm not going to sign off on plans that don't incorporate a basic safety feature I want, code required or not.

I don't claim to know a lot about structural engineering, but if you have a 60" thick piece of concrete foundation the size of a tank (say maybe 20' in diameter), and no rebar, isn't the foundation going to crack into 1000 pieces anyway? Around here, I think it would from the freeze thaw cycles alone.

My point was that I'm not going to make my design more expensive for no good reason. If you can convince the client it's needed, fine, but I'm not going to voluntarily waste his money.

kenaslan

The SE has promised that it will not crack. His problem not mine. Lets not forget with the resistance of the concrete being 60" a difference of potential might exist from the dirt at the bottom, to the top of the slab. Hence step potential. And what about stray voltage? There are also several codes, not just the NEC. API 651 API 2003 API 500 NFPA 77 and others. This can be traced back to 2005 where ALL foundations had to be bonded. Hense, the addition of the 20' Ufer. That way no steel (expensive) is needed, just a chunk of cheep wire and an exothermic bond.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Not sure what the codes says, but personally I would want the concrete bonded. Maybe the tank anchor bolts already effectively bond the concrete and tank?

If not, why would the structural engineer care if 20' of copper wire was added to a concrete foundation?
First, you've got a vessel sitting on concrete five feet deep. What is 20' of copper gonna do for anybody? I don't think it would make anything safer than having the crew hold hands while playing Bette Middler cds on the night of the third full moon.

Second, the op doesn't want a wire type CCE, he wants a rebar cage if I understand correctly.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
....This can be traced back to 2005 where ALL foundations had to be bonded. Hense, the addition of the 20' Ufer. That way no steel (expensive) is needed, just a chunk of cheep wire and an exothermic bond.

All foundations don't have to be bonded. Even foundations with steel don't have to be bonded. If there's a vapor barrier under the footers or epoxy coated rebar you can't use it as a qualifying electrode.

There is also no requirement to make a CCE if one is not present.

jumper

First, you've got a vessel sitting on concrete five feet deep. What is 20' of copper gonna do for anybody? I don't think it would make anything safer than having the crew hold hands while playing Bette Middler cds on the night of the third full moon.

Second, the op doesn't want a wire type CCE, he wants a rebar cage if I understand correctly.

You do not like John Denver or Billy Idol, but you are sitting around listening to Bette Midler?

Wierd.

Status
Not open for further replies.