Bonding of GEC Electrode to Remote Water meter Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
PLease view the attached drawing any input gladly received.

Attachments

• 200 AMp service bond question.pdf
    31 KB · Views: 0

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There is no mention of occupancy. Is there any possibility that the Exception to 250.52(A)(1) might apply ?

kwired

Electron manager
I think there needs to be a grounding electrode conductor sized to 250.66 and based on the sum of all the service entrance conductors, and each of the three service enclosures need to be bonded to it. The bond to each individual enclosure can be sized per the service conductors supplying each respective enclosure.

Depending on size of service entrance conductors - I would not be surprised if you don't need a 2/0 or 3/0 copper GEC, if all three service disconnects are 200 amps.

One conductor per service disconnect to the electrode could work also.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

someones attention need to be directed to section 250.52(A) (1) (2008 NEC), last sentyence that states "'interior metal water piping located more than 5 feet from the point of entrance to the building shall not be used as a part of the grounding electrode systemor as a conductor to interconnect electrodes that are part o the grounding electrode system

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
someones attention need to be directed to section 250.52(A) (1) (2008 NEC), last sentyence that states "'interior metal water piping located more than 5 feet from the point of entrance to the building shall not be used as a part of the grounding electrode systemor as a conductor to interconnect electrodes that are part o the grounding electrode system

all that means is you have to run your GEC to within 5 feet of where the water pipe enters the bldg and can't use the interior piping as part of the GEC. Otherwise you could hook it up anywhere on the interior piping. I don't think the OP is planning to do that.

I am not sure there is any requirement that you have to count all three services in figuring the size of the GEC.

250.64 (D) (1) Common Grounding Electrode Conductor and Taps.
A common grounding electrode conductor and grounding
electrode conductor taps shall be installed. The common
grounding electrode conductor shall be sized in accordance
with 250.66, based on the sum of the circular mil area of
the largest ungrounded service-entrance conductor(s).

(2) Individual Grounding Electrode Conductors. A
grounding electrode conductor shall be connected between
the grounded conductor in each service equipment disconnecting
means enclosure and the grounding electrode system.
Each grounding electrode conductor shall be sized in
accordance with 250.66 based on the service-entrance conductor(
s) supplying the individual service disconnecting
means.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

i respectfully disagree.the code section specifically states that water piping more than 5 feet from the point of entrance into the building (NEC definition for point of entrance, not water entrance) shall not be used as part of the GEC system.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
i respectfully disagree.the code section specifically states that water piping more than 5 feet from the point of entrance into the building (NEC definition for point of entrance, not water entrance) shall not be used as part of the GEC system.

So you are saying that if the water pipe enters the building more than five feet away from the electrical service it does not have to be part of the GES?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

Re-think your thoughts

(C) Metallic Water Pipe and Structural Metal. Grounding electrode conductors and bonding jumpers shall be permitted to be connected at the following locations and used to extend the connection to an electrode(s):

1. Interior metal water piping located not more than 1.52 m (5 ft) from the point of entrance to the building shall be permitted to be used as a conductor to interconnect electrodes that are part of the grounding electrode system. Exception: In industrial, commercial, and institutional buildings or structures, if conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation, interior metal water piping located more than 1.52 m (5 ft) from the point of entrance to the building shall be permitted as a bonding conductor to interconnect electrodes that are part of the grounding electrode system, or as a grounding electrode conductor, if the entire length, other than short sections passing perpendicularly through walls, floors, or ceilings, of the interior metal water pipe that is being used for the conductor is exposed.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re-think your thoughts

(C) Metallic Water Pipe and Structural Metal. Grounding electrode conductors and bonding jumpers shall be permitted to be connected at the following locations and used to extend the connection to an electrode(s):

1. Interior metal water piping located not more than 1.52 m (5 ft) from the point of entrance to the building shall be permitted to be used as a conductor to interconnect electrodes that are part of the grounding electrode system. Exception: In industrial, commercial, and institutional buildings or structures, if conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation, interior metal water piping located more than 1.52 m (5 ft) from the point of entrance to the building shall be permitted as a bonding conductor to interconnect electrodes that are part of the grounding electrode system, or as a grounding electrode conductor, if the entire length, other than short sections passing perpendicularly through walls, floors, or ceilings, of the interior metal water pipe that is being used for the conductor is exposed.

It is commercial. Strip center. I would think " if conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation" I would think the Path to this electrode is to far to be useful. Should be bonded only. But my question was going thround Nipple and bonding it at MLO. Does this Impede anything. Refer back to diagram for understanding. THanks. Really appreciate this site.

kwired

Electron manager

Pedro, you said the same thing Bob said, just with different words, I don't know what you are disagreeing with.

kwired

Electron manager
all that means is you have to run your GEC to within 5 feet of where the water pipe enters the bldg and can't use the interior piping as part of the GEC. Otherwise you could hook it up anywhere on the interior piping. I don't think the OP is planning to do that.

I am not sure there is any requirement that you have to count all three services in figuring the size of the GEC.

Ok maybe the part I highlighted in bold is what he is disagreeing with, and I question just what he is getting at with that part myself. The rest I agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.