Bonding of mutiple ground rods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone had a turndown for running two EGC's from two ground rods to the main/meter panel? I'm thinking the inspector and head building official are misreading the EGC no splice requirements. Not realizing there can be multiple EGCs. Its obvious to me from 250.64(c) that there can be more than one EGC per panel. Per the use of "conductor(s)" for more than one conductor. If anyone can enlighten me here? The head official even told me two wires were better than one but still wouldn't approve it.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone had a turndown for running two EGC's from two ground rods to the main/meter panel? I'm thinking the inspector and head building official are misreading the EGC no splice requirements. Not realizing there can be multiple EGCs. Its obvious to me from 250.64(c) that there can be more than one EGC per panel. Per the use of "conductor(s)" for more than one conductor. If anyone can enlighten me here? The head official even told me two wires were better than one but still wouldn't approve it.
I believe you mean GEC (grounding electrode conductor) . As far as having multiple compared to one, I can’t think of a logical reason of doing so if they are coming from the same set of rods, but i also don’t know anything prohibiting it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They need to read the section again. Two GEC's are permitted. If you run a single GEC from the neutral to the first rod you are permitted to connect a second GEC from the supplemental ground rod directly to the Neutral also.

250.53(A)(2) Supplemental Electrode Required. A single rod, pipe, or plate electrode shall be supplemented by an additional electrode of a type specified in 250.52(A)(2) through (A)(8).
The supplemental electrode shall be permitted to be bonded to one of the following:
(1) Rod, pipe, or plate electrode
(2) Grounding electrode conductor
(3) Grounded service-entrance conductor
(4) Nonflexible grounded service raceway
(5) Any grounded service enclosure

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
They need to read the section again. Two GEC's are permitted. If you run a single GEC from the neutral to the first rod you are permitted to connect a second GEC from the supplemental ground rod directly to the Neutral also.
I think you have to label which rod is supplemental. :)

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I had the same Q about using the intersystem bonding block
1644881316839.png

~S~

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Isn't the ISB block a place for communication systems to land their grounds? The graphic shows a busbar for electrical grounding.
Yes the inter-system bonding terminal is specifically prohibited from being used to connect multiple GEC's and grounding electrode bonding jumpers.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
"Single Point Grounding" is a design feature which may be desireable for minimizing electrical noise and ligjhtning-induced voltages on the building EGC/Ground system. But it is not required by NEC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
what is the dif from the pix i posted Infinity?

~RJ~
A bus bar can be used for the connection of GEC's and bonding jumpers but a listed IBT cannot because they are designed only for bonding communication systems as per the Article 100 definition. A busbar used for connecting electrodes together is required to be a minimum of
1∕4 in. thick × 2 in wide. as per 250.64(F)(3) which also rules out an IBT.
Intersystem Bonding Termination. A device that provides a means for connecting intersystem bonding conductors for communications systems to the grounding electrode system.

Status
Not open for further replies.