Bonding Pool Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey

I would like to know what year code started requiring that the electrical parts of the pool water circulating system, including pump motors, be included in the bonding grid. I am referring to equipment located more than 5 feet from the pool. And suppose you have an old installation with the equipment not part of the bonding grid and the home inspector tags it as not bonded. To make it safer would you bond all the various metal parts in the equipment area together and call it good or would you run all the way to the grid even if it's 20 or more feet away?
One last question, why is it forbidden to bond a double insulated motor?
Thanks, Brian

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: Bonding Pool Motors

Article 680 is not in the 1947 code book, it is in the 1965 edition. Best guess is pools started in the 50s.

Bonding is shorting. Shorting is defeating the insulation.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Double insulation is designed to prevent contact with energized parts of a motor by a basic insulation and a supplemental. The design also prevents any chance for a loose wire making contact with the frame.

The frame is not bonded, or grounded, to prevent any capacitance or magnetic coupling between L-1 and ground.

Ed MacLaren

Is there any requirement in the NEC that Leakage Current Collectors be installed in plastic inlet and outlet water pipes of field-assembled hot tubs/spas, if the pump is not of the insulated wet end type?

Ed

monkey

Thanks everyone.
Pierre, In the 1962 code are the bonding requirements the same as today?
And anyone care to suggest how to bond the equipment when it is 20 feet from the grid in an old installation? My guess is if they want a low cost job bond all the metal in the equipt area together, if they want it done right, dig a trench.
Any suggestions?
Brian

websparky

Unfortunately, there is no easy way out! Looks like pvc conduit.

2002 NEC Handbook;
The primary purpose of bonding is to ensure that voltage gradients in the pool area are eliminated. The fine print note explains that the 8 AWG conductor's only function is to eliminate the voltage gradient in the pool area. It is not required to provide a path for fault current that may occur as a result of electrical equipment failure.

hurk27

anyone care to suggest how to bond the equipment when it is 20 feet from the grid
What are you calling a grid?
If it is the grounding at the main service panel then there is no requirment to bring a pool equipment bond back to it as the egc supplyed with the equipment branch circuits privides for the fault protection.
The primary purpose of bonding is to ensure that voltage gradients in the pool area are eliminated.
As was said above.

monkey

By the grid I meant the pools common bonding grid, not the panel ground. I am aware that the bonding grid is not required to be connected to the service ground. If you have a pool area with everything in it bonded together via the common bonding grid and you have a pool equipment area 20 feet away which was not included in this grid my question is now what should you do? And thats why I wanted to know if the original code cycle that included pools required remotely located equipment to be part of the common bonding grid.
Thanks, Brian

bennie

Esteemed Member

The object of bonding is to short together any conductive surfaces that can be contacted at the same time.

When a bond is made to the pump motor, there is a circuit to the ground/neutral of the service.

All stray current in the bonded grid will now flow in the ground electrode conductor and system neutral back to the utility MGN.

monkey

When a bond is made to the pump motor, there is a circuit to the ground/neutral of the service.

All stray current in the bonded grid will now flow in the ground electrode conductor and system neutral back to the utility MGN.
Yes but only if the pool area bonding grid is connected to the equipment area bonding system which in this case it is not
So my question still remains unanswered: Did the 1962 NEC require the eguipment area to be included in the pool area bonding grid even if the equipment was remotely located?
Thanks, Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.