Bonding pool wall joint plate

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The liner covers the shell, making it nonconductive.
Suppose the metal structure is exposed on an above ground pool with a non conductive liner. The 2023 did away with the depth

Pool, Storable; used for Swimming, Wading, or Immersion (Storable Immersion Pool). (Storable Pool)
Pools installed entirely on or above the ground that are intended to be stored when not in use and are designed for ease of relocation, regardless of water depth. (680) (CMP-17)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Suppose the metal structure is exposed on an above ground pool with a non conductive liner. The 2023 did away with the depth
Most AG pools are not designed to be storable, or moved. They could be with a lot of trouble that on one would do. There is sand beneath them and that would have to be dealt with.
Not saying there aren't any, but every AG pool I have seen, or wired for, the outside is covered with vinyl, or plastic. I suppose if the outside was metal and totally exposed you might need to bond the 4 points.

Here is a pic of one. It is being taken down soon, but you can see the outside is covered, including the top rail.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Most AG pools are not designed to be storable, or moved. They could be with a lot of trouble that on one would do. There is sand beneath them and that would have to be dealt with.
Not saying there aren't any, but every AG pool I have seen, or wired for, the outside is covered with vinyl, or plastic. I suppose if the outside was metal and totally exposed you might need to bond the 4 points.

Here is a pic of one. It is being taken down soon, but you can see the outside is covered, including the top rail.

This around me is a an exception.
Most I've dealt with are galvanized or Aluminum metal exposed shell, some even having metal deck surround. Some might have a vinyl edge that keeps the vinyl liner up by pinching the liner to the metal framing and shell. It will even be able to have continuity on a VOM between the metal components, one side to the other, so you would tell me it doesn't need bonding. Water is bonded and you would have a difference of potential if the other metallic components are not.

Most around me are like the last two in this post on previous thread: https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/pool-bonding-lugs.2582244/post-2935596

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
This around me is a an exception.
Most I've dealt with are galvanized or Aluminum metal exposed shell, some even having metal deck surround. Some might have a vinyl edge that keeps the vinyl liner up by pinching the liner to the metal framing and shell. It will even be able to have continuity on a VOM between the metal components, one side to the other, so you would tell me it doesn't need bonding. Water is bonded and you would have a difference of potential if the other metallic components are not.

Most around me are like the last two in this post on previous thread: https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/pool-bonding-lugs.2582244/post-2935596
The only pools I've dealt with that have any metal exposed are ones that are called "partial in-ground". They have part of the pool in-ground, usually the deep end, and part above ground. These I do bond at 4 points. The one I showed in the pic is the norm around here for what is called an above ground pool, and the 4 point bonding is not required.

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for all the info gents. I’m in commercial so this was my first pool. Learned a lot.

I went ahead and bonded 4 posts. I already had the lugs attached and the trench was dug. Started at pump, hit 4 posts, skimmer bond, then ended at the pump. Calling inspector today

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
Inspector came out yesterday and only got me for one thing. Pump lug is only rated for 1 wire, not 2

I asked him about only bonding one post if the pool has a vinyl liner and he said “They all have vinyl liners. It’s 4 posts”