Bonding the stone patio outside of hot tub

HuntNJ

Occupation
Electrician
I’m Doing finish work at an addition. I come here for the first time in 6 months. They redid the back yard and added a hot tub. I know the patio has to be bonded to the hot tub but how is that achieve. With solid bare laid underneath the first set of stone?

Attachments

• B7DF817B-6A73-4D4D-AEB0-C5C0E22A5034.jpeg
    B7DF817B-6A73-4D4D-AEB0-C5C0E22A5034.jpeg
    926.5 KB · Views: 29

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Packaged spas are treated different than in ground pools and spas. You only need to bond metal within 5 ft I believe so bonding is only an issue if they put a metal railing there or metal fence.
Could you provide a code reference. I got tagged for not attaching to aluminum screened enclosure.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Packaged spas are treated different than in ground pools and spas. You only need to bond metal within 5 ft I believe so bonding is only an issue if they put a metal railing there or metal fence.
There are some stipulations that need to be met for that to apply. Be sure to check 680.42

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
"If", based on 680 in whatever cycle you are on, you need EP bonding, added a copper bonding grid under pavers tied back into all other required EP boding points should be adequate.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
But the standard grid or ring is not required like with a permanent pool
My read is that is true ONLY if the conditions listed apply.....
680.42 Outdoor Installations. A spa or hot tub installed outdoors shall comply with the provisions of Parts I and II of this article, except as permitted in 680.42(A) and (B), that would otherwise apply to pools installed outdoors.
Equipotential bonding of perimeter surfaces in accordance with 680.26(B)(2) shall not be required to be provided for spas and hot tubs where all of the following conditions apply:
(listed)

If, IMO, the listed conditions don't apply the perimeter bonding is required.
An example would be atub recessed in the deck so that the top rim is not 28" above the perimeter surfaces.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
My read is that is true ONLY if the conditions listed apply.....
680.42 Outdoor Installations. A spa or hot tub installed outdoors shall comply with the provisions of Parts I and II of this article, except as permitted in 680.42(A) and (B), that would otherwise apply to pools installed outdoors.
Equipotential bonding of perimeter surfaces in accordance with 680.26(B)(2) shall not be required to be provided for spas and hot tubs where all of the following conditions apply:
(listed)

If, IMO, the listed conditions don't apply the perimeter bonding is required.
An example would be atub recessed in the deck so that the top rim is not 28" above the perimeter surfaces.
Idk if you'd be able to enforce that in WA as an inspector but I can see how you'd feel that way since in that situation it'd be close to a standard non packaged spa. I feel like recessing them in a deck violates the install instructions since everyone I've seen says not too anyway so then it's not legal at all. Atleast not according to how it's listed.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I have no issue running the #8AWG bonding conductor, the packaged spa is closer than 5ft to the aluminum enclosure. This FL so everybody has these enclosures for bugs. Do I need to run more than 1, or is one considered adequate since the enclosure is built screwed together. For some reason I remember seeing 2 were required.