Bonding to copper water that is encased in concrete slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

timberline1

New User
Occupation
Electrical Engr.
Hi all,

Upgraded my panel to 200A, installed 2-8ft 5/8" GEC's more than 6ft apart. Continuous 6AWG CU from external emergency disconnect which has neutral and ground bonded. I thought this would suffice for my grounding and bonding needs.

Well system for water with poly pipe as the supply line to the house. The rest of the system is pex until we get to copper pipe running through the concrete slab of the house foundation. This copper feeds one toilet and the washing machine, so I guess a few ft of run from the slab up to the valves. Inspector wants #4Cu ran from disconnect to the water line at the washing machine.

I understand he has the final say on what gets passed, but I find this confusing. The copper is buried in the ground. If there was a fault on the few feet of copper, wouldn't it be grounded through the slab to the earth? Or does it lead to grounding loops to occur because these are technically two different grounding locations? There is maybe 20ft from the GEC's to where the attachment point at the washer inside would be.

TIA

NJ, 2020 NEC Code

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. We are not allowed to assist a person who is not an electrician to perform their own electrical installation work. Engineers are certainly welcome to participate in this forum; I have been for over 20 years. But we have to restrict our questions to work-related topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.