Bonding to new service

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckscrew

I'm a GC in the Bay Area. We'll be relocating an existing service as part of a new addition. We can run a ufer to the new location in the new concrete foundation. During rebar inspection the inspector told me I need to run a bonding jumper from the new service to the waterline within 10' of where it enters the house. The problem is the water line and gas line enter on the opposite side of the house about 100' away and there is no way to get the wire to the crawl space without tearing out old redwood paneling or running it along the exterior of the house. Neither option is desired. Could we bond the water line off a ground rod located at the water line entry? Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

kwired

Electron manager
Could we bond the water line off a ground rod located at the water line entry? Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.
You can, but you still need a connection to the electrical system somehow. The intention here is not "grounding" the water line the intention is to use the underground metal piping as a grounding electrode, and 250.50 tells us if it is present it must be used as part of the grounding electrode system.

Status
Not open for further replies.