bonding underground sleeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMeyer

Occupation
Electrician
I will be building some light foundations in the near future and the plans require a pvc coated rigid sleeve through the foundation for connection to a ground rod. This metal sleeve will be required to be bonded on both sides unless I am mistaken? On the accessible, above ground side I can just use a bonding bushing but I am unsure what to use below grade. Is a bonding bushing rated for direct burial, I am having trouble finding any information on this? What are some other options for bonding the conduit below grade?

NMeyer

Occupation
Electrician
That was my initial proposal but they are holding me to installation per plan with pvc coated rigid conduit for anything in contact with concrete

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
If using all and only listed connections for the rigid the point of original or first bonding should suffice if no nonconductive conduit or connections are made to interrupt continuity of the bonding, no additional bonding should be required. If only acting as a sleeve, the single point of bonding should be adequate, again as long as the rigid is one continuous section not interrupted by nonconductive materials.
Bonding at both ends is usually done to allow the conduit to act as allowed as the EGC.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If using all and only listed connections for the rigid the point of original or first bonding should suffice if no nonconductive conduit or connections are made to interrupt continuity of the bonding, no additional bonding should be required. If only acting as a sleeve, the single point of bonding should be adequate, again as long as the rigid is one continuous section not interrupted by nonconductive materials.
Bonding at both ends is usually done to allow the conduit to act as allowed as the EGC.
I think he is using it to run the GEC through so it needs to be bonded at both ends.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This is not really an grounding electrode conductor per the code and the bonding rules for GECs and ferrous raceways do not apply.

The rod in this installation would be a 250.54 auxiliary grounding electrode and it is connected to an Equipment Grounding Conductor and not to a Grounding Electrode Conductor.

Note that the physics of the installation does not change, just the code rules change. While there is no requirement to bond the EGC to the ferrous pipe, you probably should.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I will be building some light foundations in the near future and the plans require a pvc coated rigid sleeve through the foundation for connection to a ground rod. This metal sleeve will be required to be bonded on both sides unless I am mistaken? On the accessible, above ground side I can just use a bonding bushing but I am unsure what to use below grade. Is a bonding bushing rated for direct burial, I am having trouble finding any information on this? What are some other options for bonding the conduit below grade?
pg 204 (and others) note 8, on my turf

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.