bonding water systems and NEV nuisance

Status
Not open for further replies.
so thinking about everything i've learned by reading other threads in the Grounding vs. bonding subforum, the bonding is meant to ensure tripping breakers when a hot to EGC fault occurs as otherwise the impedance of the earth ground might not pass enough amperage to trip the breaker leaving the entire ground network with dangerous potential.

makes sense so far as it goes.

so presumably bonding the metal water system is meant to insure a similar result in case of some less likely but not impossible accident that results in a hot wire contacting the water system that the breaker is tripped.

however grounding the water system creates multiple likely sources of NEV nuisance. my nieces and nephews discovered what the cows have known for years during a water ballon war yesterday.

now i finished a legion set of posts and replies on NEV problems with drinking water trough heaters and ultimately only solved my own 7 to 9 volt problem by cutting the third prong off the trough heater.

of course the trough heater is on a GFCI so i have primary protection against currents smaller than the trip current going AWOL. While I have seldom seen it, the various studies on GFCI field performance referenced here do indicate that there is some percentage of failure on vs. failure off (meaning that my small real world sampling that has only experienced failure off would be the wrong indicator of whether this is anything to worry about). so this arrangement is not without any risk, but compared to the horses not drinking they can colic and die from that long before they encounter a failed on GFCI and a failure of insulation on the heater conducters or heater itself at the same time.

so, this one isolated circumstance of depending on the GFCI for low amperage fault protection on a rural property seemed kind of like the common sense approach. But now that i am sensitized to the issue, i'm measuring these NEVs as 5 to 7 volts in many urban installations. probably, like our roads, our electric infrastructure is vastly undersized. But the price of metal and bureaucracy lately suggests to me that we are going to be putting much more money in 'smart' meters than into smart investments such as improving infrastructure. So this NEV issues is starting to look pretty global (in the national sense that is) to me. As i start to realize the number of instances of NEV current being transmitted to people, me regularly in construction work where water and electricity mix, e.g. concrete cutting and drilling, as well as the more recreational instance describe above of filling water ballons, it occurs to me that, for the sake of preventing the unlikely transmission of higher voltage accidentally, we are essentially insuring the non-accidental delivery of lower voltage. Now the unlikely voltage is potentially lethal while the non-accidental voltage is largely a nuisance although it has proven to be a productivity problem in animal husbandry. so i'm not making an up front cost benefit case. but the unintended consequence of not considering reducing NETPV (i.e. Netural to Earth Through People Voltage) is that folks will start to look for ways around it that might create other hazards they cannot assess.

Given that we have gone so far down the line with an infrastructure that does not isolate the line loss in the primary voltage from the user of the secondary voltage and that primary wiring carrying capacity does not appear to have kept pace with the increase in use, hence the many instances i have experienced of NETPV in both rural, suburban and urban settings I'm thinking some more practical mitigation might be appropriate. I wonder at some juncture since there is pressure, about which i'm ambivalent, for more and more GFCI coverage, whether outfitting with all GFCI breakers for a structure could present an option for foregoing bonding -- at least of water systems. i tend to think it more likely you could accidentally energize the metal enclosure or EGC system.

respectfully submitted,
perplexed (and lightly shocked) in Rhode Island

Last edited:
Was there a question in there somewhere?

>>I wonder at some juncture since there is pressure, about which i'm ambivalent, for more and more GFCI coverage, whether outfitting with all >>GFCI breakers for a structure could present an option for foregoing bonding -- at least of water systems.
?

I know question marks are handy punctuation. my shift keys are only marginally functional so i count on context of which there is always alot in my posts. I take no issue with anyone who takes wry note of or otherwise belittles my loggerhea, but, as to conjecture, what i've experienced and done about it isn't conjecture. maybe it seems conjectural to you but it happened to me.

if the notions i thought i had gleaned from this forum, that the principle purpose of bonding is to trip breakers if there is accidental energizing of EGC are not a fair reading of the information already posted here, by all means set me straight. otherwise i take it to be accepted and not conjecture.

i do engage in one piece of conjecture which is: what electric consumers confronted with NEV nuisance might do (as i have engage in similar conjecture about likely behaviors of people confronted with nuisance tripping of GFCI -- although on this topic i draw quite a bit from emperical research that guides my thinking).

to give slightly sideways reflection on behavior and bonding (as opposed to behavior and GFCIs which i have more experience with), i had an older friend whose house got a new water service and when the bond was removed from the existing service to replace the pipe his house suddenly started to exhibit voltage swings on the 120 circuits indicating an open neutral. So an electrician told him to get a ground rod and pound it in and hook up the old bond for the time being -- and of course it did nothing. I got called over in the later evening because it was incredibly cold and the voltage outside parameters was tripping the safetys on thier furance and they had no heat. I pulled his meter, saw that the neutral junction was incredibly compromised. went inside and began moving things around until i had balanced the voltage being drawn between the two legs enough with the furnace on to prevent the house from freezing since we were in the middle of the polar vortex and explained that he shouldn't turn stuff on and off from there.

I then gave him the name of a couple contractors who he should consult about replacing his service riser and meter trough as soon as possible and above all not to get the guy who told him to put in a ground rod to solve the problem.

Meanwhile, couple days later, his plumbers finished the pipe replacement and hooked his bonding back up -- which because this was an urban area with all metal water piping it went right back to balancing his hot legs through the metal pipe to the grounding connector of neighboring houses that did not have open neutrals. And the same electrician told him everything was fine now. I threw up my hands.

I'm not a big worry wart and i don't loose sleep nights over this kind of stuff, but i think it illustrates that electricians often don't understand this distinction and (conjecture again i admit) that is the reason there is a ground vs. bond subforum for me to exercise my volubility on. (I suppose one can also infer that electricians don't feel like replacing services in the bitter cold although it warmed up to like 45 and sunny). And to add the greatest irony to the whole thing, this gentleman is from the family that invented radio and taught electrical engineering for years at university. This goes to show you how high theory and practical theory can part ways a bit, because he is as smart as a whip on this stuff and used to teach me electrical engineering topics when i was a kid and we would sit in the back of his classes and labs.

For sure it is conjecture, but i like to think informed conjecture that, esp. given the lack of understanding in this area, when folks start getting shocked by bonded water pipes or appliances or electrical tools, they will consider doing away with the bonding. So I was asking by way of this conjecture if those in the industry who do grapple with understanding the reasoning behind the requirement saw any way to provide options for eliminating this nuisance short of everyone raising their homes and surrounding aprons of earth to 5 or 6 volts?

respectfully resubmitted with (2) question mark(s) this time.

Brian

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
>>I wonder at some juncture since there is pressure, about which i'm ambivalent, for more and more GFCI coverage, whether outfitting with all >>GFCI breakers for a structure could present an option for foregoing bonding -- at least of water systems.
?

I know question marks are handy punctuation. my shift keys are only marginally functional so i count on context of which there is always alot in my posts. I take no issue with anyone who takes wry note of or otherwise belittles my loggerhea, but, as to conjecture, what i've experienced and done about it isn't conjecture. maybe it seems conjectural to you but it happened to me.
You could copy and paste them in where appropriate. They do help clarify the written word which is absent intonation.

if the notions i thought i had gleaned from this forum, that the principle purpose of bonding is to trip breakers if there is accidental energizing of EGC are not a fair reading of the information already posted here, by all means set me straight. otherwise i take it to be accepted and not conjecture.
Yes, that is the purpose. But it is also a by-product of living in a world with a grounded electrical system.

My conjectural research has led me to conclude that in our corner of the world we live with grounded electrical systems because it is the one we ended up with and there is no reason to change it because there are problems with ungrounded electrical systems, just different than the ones we have here.

To re-invent our corner of world with everything that carries current insulated/isolated from earth and everything that is not supposed to carry current is connected and bonded to the earth would be grand. But that would mean a whole new power grid and this is a big place, furthermore, even if we did it it would still not guarantee the end result would end up successfully achieving complete isolation. Them electrons are going to get into the earth, so let's put them there where we know we did it on purpose rather than letting them sneak in.

iwire

Staff member
I think ADs research is on the money.

I wire stuff, turn it on and get paid. I don't worry about things I have no control over. :cool:

iwire

Staff member
Come on, you are as close to the Govt. As I am. Surely they must have grant money to help with your research. Tell them you want to test the long term effects of drinking beer and working around electricity.:cool:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
so thinking about everything i've learned by reading other threads in the Grounding vs. bonding subforum, the bonding is meant to ensure tripping breakers when a hot to EGC fault occurs as otherwise the impedance of the earth ground might not pass enough amperage to trip the breaker leaving the entire ground network with dangerous potential.

Correct, a standard thermal magnetic breaker will not clear through a ground rod. In most cases a GFCI breaker will such as in a TT earthed neutral system, but TT earthing is not allowed by the NEC. Even where it is, GFI breakers are a must, and the ground rods must be so that they will at least pass 30 millamps of current to open a GFCI breaker.

Correct, if one was not to bond the ground network to the neutral or not run a wire from the ground network to the transformer neutral and a standard breaker was used the whole ground system will be energized. Now, between fridge and oven one may have zero volts under a fault since equal potential is taking palce, but between the transformer ground rods/other structures and your structure a 120 or 230 volt potential will exist. The potential will flow through the soil to the structures and ground rods of opposite potential. The end result will be heating and major voltage gradients that can both shock/electrocute and start a fire. So, in a nut shell, it is must that a fault be cleared.

Makes sense so far as it goes.

so presumably bonding the metal water system is meant to insure a similar result in case of some less likely but not impossible accident that results in a hot wire contacting the water system that the breaker is tripped.

Correct, if a hot touches a water pipe youd want that cleared. Also, you want your pipes at the same potential as the case of your refrigerator/stove washer ect. Wouldn't be fun having a voltage potential between your sink and say the grounded cooktop you are touching.

A potential could occur due to many, many reasons, one common one being that in TN-C earthing where your neutral connects over to the ground system. That neutral is several volts above ground one average coming into a welling from voltage drop. Your ground system is also at that potential now. So if one took a multi meter to a totally isolated metal water piping system and say any metal frame connected to an EGC one would read a few volts. Now, say your service neutral opened. In a TN-C system every metal appliance would be up to 120 or 230 volts to metal water pipes. Stove and fridge would be close to zero (compared to each other only), but touch stove to sink at the same time and it would not feel so nice. Also, in many cases your dishwasher, disposer or water heater (that also has an EGC connected to the ground system) may inadvertently also have a conductive path with your plumbing. (Water heater with metal tank with EGC and metal water pipes connected to it) So, lets say in a 230 volt TN-C system one lost the neutral but had no water pipe bond. However the metal water pipe was continues under the street to neighbors who share the same transformer. When you loose your neutral, all that current then travels through your ground system, through the 2.5mm2, 4.0mm2, 6.0mm2 or 14, 12 or 10 gauge EGC, to the metal appliance in contact with the plumbing, through your pipes, then out the building. Because the branch circuit egc is smaller than you water bond, the heating is much greater. 50 amps of neutral current running up through a 14 gauge romex cable to your 120 volt dishwasher that also has a cooper water line connected to metal fill valve bracket attached to the same metal support frame as your EGC will not look pretty. The EGC in romex stapled to the studs will get very hot and catch fire. Because the neutral current is returning "well enough" to prevent excessive neutral shift it wont be noticed to well. Until that current goes over 25 or 30 amps where that wire will begin to heat in excesses. If it gets hot enough the studs will ignite. 60+ amps on #14 is enough for that. However, having a water bond guarantees that more current will go through it then EGC during an open neutral condition. Hence why water bond size increases as service size goes up.

Of course you would still have a problem, but you branch EGC to water loving appliances wont set something a blaze.

however grounding the water system creates multiple likely sources of NEV nuisance. my nieces and nephews discovered what the cows have known for years during a water ballon war yesterday.

now i finished a legion set of posts and replies on NEV problems with drinking water trough heaters and ultimately only solved my own 7 to 9 volt problem by cutting the third prong off the trough heater.

You are correct. A down fall of TN-C earthing systems. Any time you ground a current carrying conductor more than one once you get parallel current paths and with that voltage gradients since there is no such thing as zero ohms especially with soil. Of course there is one solution to that. A full blown TN-S system. That menas ground and neutral all the way back to the transformer. As well as POCOs not turning the grounding system out on the distribution network as a neutral as is way to common in North America. California, for one figured out this was really bad.

performance referenced here do indicate that there is some percentage of failure on vs. failure off (meaning that my small real world sampling that has only experienced failure off would be the wrong indicator of whether this is anything to worry about). so this arrangement is not without any risk, but compared to the horses not drinking they can colic and die from that long before they encounter a failed on GFCI and a failure of insulation on the heater conducters or heater itself at the same time.

so, this one isolated circumstance of depending on the GFCI for low amperage fault protection on a rural property seemed kind of like the common sense approach. But now that i am sensitized to the issue, i'm measuring these NEVs as 5 to 7 volts in many urban installations. probably, like our roads, our electric infrastructure is vastly undersized.

e price of metal and bureaucracy lately suggests to me that we are going to be putting much more money in 'smart' meters than into smart investments such as improving infrastructure. So this NEV issues is starting to look pretty global (in the national sense that is) to me. As i start to realize the number of instances of NEV current being transmitted to people, me regularly in construction work where water and electricity mix, e.g. concrete cutting and drilling, as well as the more recreational instance describe above of filling water ballons, it occurs to me that, for the sake of preventing the unlikely transmission of higher voltage accidentally, we are essentially insuring the non-accidental delivery of lower voltage. Now the unlikely voltage is potentially lethal while the non-accidental voltage is largely a nuisance although it has proven to be a productivity problem in animal husbandry. so i'm not making an up front cost benefit case. but the unintended consequence of not considering reducing NETPV (i.e. Netural to Earth Through People Voltage) is that folks will start to look for ways around it that might create other hazards they cannot assess.

Given that we have gone so far down the line with an infrastructure that does not isolate the line loss in the primary voltage from the user of the secondary voltage and that primary wiring carrying capacity does not appear to have kept pace with the increase in use, hence the many instances i have experienced of NETPV in both rural, suburban and urban settings I'm thinking some more practical mitigation might be appropriate. I wonder at some juncture since there is pressure, about which i'm ambivalent, for more and more GFCI coverage, whether outfitting with all GFCI breakers for a structure could present an option for foregoing bonding -- at least of water systems. i tend to think it more likely you could accidentally energize the metal enclosure or EGC system.

respectfully submitted,

Part 1 of my response. Answers in red. :)

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
so, this one isolated circumstance of depending on the GFCI for low amperage fault protection on a rural property seemed kind of like the common sense approach. But now that i am sensitized to the issue, i'm measuring these NEVs as 5 to 7 volts in many urban installations. probably, like our roads, our electric infrastructure is vastly undersized.

Our power systems are undersized in some places, but even then, its more the engineering/design to start with. Not all POCOs care not for safty nor reliability first, rather profit. As a result a lot suffers. I could wright whole libraries on it, everywhere from poor vegetation management, to system vulnerabilities/cascading outage resistance, rotor angle stability under faults, deregulation, SCADA security/operation, down to as you mention NEVs (stray voltage and current).

As loads increase, as systems age, and as loads become non-linear ever more so, neutral current increases. The combination of neutral current increase and deterioration of cables/splices leads to this issue becoming ever worse. Years ago it wasn't so much of an issue, but its now becoming a major one to say the least.

But the price of metal and bureaucracy lately suggests to me that we are going to be putting much more money in 'smart' meters than into smart investments such as improving infrastructure. So this NEV issues is starting to look pretty global (in the national sense that is) to me.

POCOs are applying such investments because its cheaper to compel the customer to use lass power than to upgrade a dilapidated infrastructure. Its a band aid fix kicking the can down the road.

In some ways NEVs are global, although not wholly. Some saw this coming a long time ago. California has gotten most of it right. For years California utilities have been required to treat all current carrying conductors on the MV side as insulated. This has forced the use of double bushing transformers, either connected phase to phase or to a neutral that is kept up on insulators. In fact, in California it is unheard of for dairy farmers to have stray voltage issues that originate from the utility. Another point of note is Minnesota, where utilities having been hit with droves of stray voltage lawsuits, have began to re-wire distribution systems in town that serve dairy farms to 3 wire delta with no MV (medium voltage) mgn.

In Europe, and some other places in the world (China, Russia) all primaries on MV to LV distribution transformers are connected in delta unlike North America where most are wye grounded with the primary neutral stapled to the can.:happyno: All transformers are connected phase to phase out on the distribution lines in these countries. In fact, Scandinavian countries (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) do it all right by going further with not only connecting all transformer primaries phase to phase but also using TN-S earthing on LV side. Neutral and ground wires are separate all the way back to the transformer on the pole, not just the first disconnect like in North America. Stray voltage from both the medium voltage side (6kv to 33kv) is eliminated in addition to the low voltage side (240 volts to customers). There is no current flowing on grounding systems. And as a result, NEV/stray voltage is thus, none existent.
:happyyes:

As i start to realize the number of instances of NEV current being transmitted to people, me regularly in construction work where water and electricity mix, e.g. concrete cutting and drilling, as well as the more recreational instance describe above of filling water ballons, it occurs to me that, for the sake of preventing the unlikely transmission of higher voltage accidentally, we are essentially insuring the non-accidental delivery of lower voltage. Now the unlikely voltage is potentially lethal while the non-accidental voltage is largely a nuisance although it has proven to be a productivity problem in animal husbandry. so i'm not making an up front cost benefit case. but the unintended consequence of not considering reducing NETPV (i.e. Netural to Earth Through People Voltage) is that folks will start to look for ways around it that might create other hazards they cannot assess.

Not only NEVs/stray voltage, but also magnetic fields. That is something no one will mention. When ever current is flowing through a conductor with no opposing field that field will not cancel. In 2 conductors side by side one supplying a load with 6 amps the other returning 6 amps from said load magnetic fields are opposite and will thus cancel each other out. Same goes for 3 phase circuits. Load doesn't matter, phase balancing doesn't matter, as long as all conductors carrying the current of the load(s) being served and are in close proximity magnetic fields will cancel out. This is the exact reason why an amp clamp will not take an current reading of a lamp cord without braking apart the zip and measuring one conductor at a time. Same why an amp clamp will not give real readings with more than one conductor in the clamp and its even how GFCIs detect faults for starters. Its because net current cancels. Any time current takes a detour fields don't cancel out because they are no longer equal on both sides. Grounding a current carrying conductor at more than one point is the classis achiever of this. Some current will return on the wire, some the earth/piping since you now have introduced a new parallel path.

End result is that power lines/conduits have much, much higher magnetic, as well as anything that carries the stray current such as soil/pipes/telecommunications cables ect ect. People are exposed to the fields as long as the system is carrying power. In fact, it been found that wiring errors alone in homes (such as crossed circuits) produce exponentially higher magnetic fields, imagine what that leaves for entire distribution systems. Another sad fact is that magnetic fields are often the highest in residential neighborhoods since lines tend to be single phase. In a 3 phase line stray currents tend to be lower because current cancel out as loads rotate between phases. 3 pole pigs serving single phase customers of 10amps, 9amps and 11 amps would put 1.73 amps on the MGN, however, on a single phase line that would be 30amps, a big difference.

{side note: Its that unknown fact that often gets used to make skewed/misleading reports by pocos that claim the magnetic fields in a residential neighborhood are often no that much higher compared to x or y. Creating the illusion x or y doesn't have fields that high. So often poco reports might say "within 10 feet of the proposed substation magnetic fields will be comparable to that of any residential neighborhood" Of course, it sounds like their proposed substation or transmission line isn't so bad, but what is not known is that single phase lines in these neighborhoods are worse than balanced 3 phase or delta lines. Even larger ones for that single fact:( :roll:}

Anyway while 50/60hz magnetic fields (and of course the harmonics they carry) are none ionizing, its up in the air as to what they do to human health. Studies go both ways, and I think I can guess why. Its not a gamble we should take until its precisely known what 50/60hz magnetic fields do to the human body.

But, its safe to say that if magnetic fields play even a small role in cancer or any diseases for that matter that its not a fact that anyone wants to be let out. To do so will cause pocos to face massive lawsuits where they previously did not. They already do from many dairy farmers, now imagine anyone with a doctors note...:jawdrop:However, you do have one undisputable fact (thought it could be from anything but its food for thought) that cancer rates tend to be higher in North America than the EU or other countries. And it has been confirmed that EMFs play a role in the development in Childhood Leukemia.

respectfully submitted,

GFCIs wont solve POCO induced stray voltage, but GFCIs on all branch circuits will catch wiring errors as well as conditions that can start a fire such a nail piercing a piece of NM-B or a hot wire arcing to ground. And of course, if a neutral became grounded in a structure a GFCI would catch that. AFCIs with 30ma ground fault protection have shown us just how often un-intended faults happen on branch circuits, even new ones in brand new buildings.

Grounding and bonding isn't the issue IMO. We ground, bond and drive grounds rods really well. However, our issues comes from using what are essentially ground wires along with their grounding system as a neutral. Its that continuous current that is causing issues. The good new is its fixable as well as proven to work all over the world. The NEC already requires separate neutral and grounds past the first disconnect. The issue is getting POCOs to change long endearing practices.

Answers are in red, part 2.

My 2 cents. :p:)

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
You could copy and paste them in where appropriate. They do help clarify the written word which is absent intonation.

Yes, that is the purpose. But it is also a by-product of living in a world with a grounded electrical system.

My conjectural research has led me to conclude that in our corner of the world we live with grounded electrical systems because it is the one we ended up with and there is no reason to change it because there are problems with ungrounded electrical systems, just different than the ones we have here.

There is a huge difference between floating/grounding transformer neutrals and comparing systems where all current carrying conductors are insulated as appose to not. Your mixing up two very different subjects as one. Operating a system ungrounded (not grounding your source XO) is difficult if not impossible and usually discarded as an option. However, designing a solidly grounded system that puts very little current on the grounding system is easy and doable. In fact the NEC requires it 99% of the time. IMO I think the OP is referring to this.

To re-invent our corner of world with everything that carries current insulated/isolated from earth and everything that is not supposed to carry current is connected and bonded to the earth would be grand. But that would mean a whole new power grid and this is a big place, furthermore, even if we did it it would still not guarantee the end result would end up successfully achieving complete isolation. Them electrons are going to get into the earth, so let's put them there where we know we did it on purpose rather than letting them sneak in.

I disagree that whole new power grid would need to be rebuilt to implement this. Only some parts would need to be changed, that being transformers in the local distribution system and service drops in the utilization system. And its certainly possible to get the intended goal with GFCIs and protective relays. Its done all over the world including California in regards to the 2 ear pole pigs. The issues is not all poco want to spend money on double bushing pole pigs and 4 and 5 wire service drops. However, the remaining ground currents would literally be a small fraction of what we have now.

The rest of the power grid is generally not a big dumper of ground current. Even though most transmission systems are interconnected with wye-wye and wye grounded-auto transformers, because the HV to MV substation transformers are usually delta wye to prevent the passage of zero sequence currents (distribution faults tripping transmission line zero sequence protective elements), wye wye transformers such as those stepping 345kv to 138kv pass very little neutral current as a result. In fact on could have a string of wye wye transformers in series with all primary and secondary grounded neutrals that will put very little ground current on the system if the load at the end is phase-phase connected only. However, if any end load is connected phase to neutral, it will pass through the entire string of transformers. As well as any phase to ground faults:p Often why its nice to have a delta primary somewhere to break that.

Status
Not open for further replies.