bonding windows near pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

jo234

just wanted to know where in the code book do i look for bonding windows near a pool?? is it in 680.26 (5) ??? if so,is a window a fixed metal part?? as in 680.26(5)??
all so the windows are more than 1.5m (5ft)away from the pool but less then 3m (10ft) do they still need to be bonded???

im new to this web site and i do live in south florida..and from what i been reading it seems to be the worst place to deal with the code.im trying to get away from the (good old-boy ways of learing)

thanks for the help :p

racraft

Re: bonding windows near pools

How did you get away with a pool that close to a house? Up here they never would have apporoved the building permit.

G

If required, what would be the kosher way to bond an aluminum or other metal framed window within the splash zone?

Why are windows (and just about everything else) bonded when filters are not?

303ecm17fig3.jpg

[ October 09, 2003, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: awwt ]

G

I thought about that angle, but the higher end filters are made of stainless-steel. They don't come with grounding lugs. The code seems to exempt filters from bonding. They are bonded as a by-product if the filter is all-metal (stainless), and the piping & fittings are all metal (copper).

nautilusplus.jpg

hurk27

Awwt
I was (as most are) unaware that a metal filter even exist. But I don't find anything in the NEC that requires it as I don't find anything for window frames ether? Or with the fence tv ant. where did Mike get this requirment? as 680.26 only says what is listed in (B) 1 through (B) 5? what gives.

(B) Bonded Parts. The parts specified in 680.26(B)(1) through (B)(5) shall be bonded together.

hurk27

so if the metal filter is within the 5' from the inside walls of the pool then it too would have to be bonded but not if it is father away than the 5' requirment the it wouldn't

[ October 12, 2003, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

G

Erring on the side of safety, even if not a factual requirement I try to bond everything on the list plus everything on the equipment pad. These metal filters are not easy to bond. You cannot attach a lug to the filter housing (or it will spring a leak). The best you can do is attach a pipe clamp to the bleeder valve or attach a pipe clamp to the copper inlet/outlet piping if piped in copper (or galvanized). It looks pretty hoaky and can make it difficult to operate the bleeder valve. Another alternative is to put a longer brass nipple on the bleeder valve to make more room for the clamp. This makes the bleeder susceptible to getting snapped off as service personnel bang around (and climb around) the pool equipment shed.

I never had a new construction pool job that put the structure within the splash so I never had an opportunity to bond any aluminum windows. I am curious about the approved method for bonding to aluminum windows. That would be very difficult on a pool retrofit :)

In the picture above I notice a TV antenna but it does not appear to be included in the pictured bonding loop (nor is the filter).

ground-clampE.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.