Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Here are two books on the effects of EMF on the human body. They are written for Phd.'s rather than electricians.

The Melatonin Hypothesis and Extremely Low Frequency Electromagnetic Fields:.

Available from the Battelle Press:

www.battelle.org/bookstore

Mike P.

[ February 21, 2003, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: jxofaltrds ]

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Re: Books

Not at all.

These are two seperate books.

The information contained within each was compiled
by The Battelle Memorial Institute.

Extremely Low Frequency Electromagnetic Field: (1990)uses literally hundreds of studies for it's reference materials.

The Melatonin Hypothesis (1997) edited by the same 3 Ph.D's that edited the first book with contributions from other Ph.D's and from M.D's; PPH's; M.S.E.E's; D.H.Sc.'s; Dr.Med.Vet.'s; D.A.B.T's; a Dr.P.H.; a couple of Dr. rer.nat.; and a Dipl. Biol.

Many of the causes of these problems can be remedied by a simple understanding of NEC. Many electricians laugh at me when I try to show them the problems they have cause; IE tiying neutrals of different circuits together.

I do not believe any of them would stand in front of a TWT, well maybe since they probably do not know what it is. (Microwave generator)

Remember when we where young and we were told not to sit to close to the TV. Take a reading in front of a TV.

I have been in homes that had readings over twice that of the "BIG" electric towers.

This is not voodoo.

Mike P.

karl riley

Mike,
I am familiar with the joking attitude towards possible health effects of AC magnetic fields of a certain strength. It is the knee-jerk reaction of any professional in a field when he is told that the medium he works with may have harmful effects. The joking attitude is a form of denial and is certainly understandable. I sidestep this reaction by pointing out the NEC violations which create most high fields in buildings.

Most electricians would be amazed to learn that there have been literally thousands of studies in this area in the last 15 years. And since they are ongoing worldwide, no one country's government or industry spin doctors can suppress the info.

Cheers, Karl

wocolt

Karl:
I too have read these studies and have written you on questions, read your book,several times, have a Gaussmeter, and have had significant success with the results.
My point to Mike was not to taking everything that is written down as fact. Even in your book you use the words ,"recent studies ... suggest",
and also, " studies have looked into",,, cause and effect relationships of Magnetic Fields as pertaining to human health.
A lot of studies out there have a linked agenda, to disrrupt and in some cases set back the industrys' generations of advancement. This neither clarifies the problem nor answers any questions as to what is really going on and has created a new businesses of finding and detecting stray magnetic fields. Which by all means should be found and corrected.
Dont get me wrong I dont disagree with the message, just that some of the messengers have a skewed sense of purpose and are not always as straight forward with their message and the facts as they should be.

WOC

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Karl

Thanxs.

WOC

I forgot that you are one of those that understand this.

I just got excited when I saw UFO.

Let us assume for a minute that ELF of EMF will not hurt you.

That fact is it shows improper wiring. That said, wouldn't you want to fix it?

A side note. My wife had a "minor" surgery today, everything is fine. I took my Gaussmeter with me. Most people think that with all that "stuff" they use that you would be subjected to a lot of "waves".

Most commercial applications have had the losest readings. 0.1 to .02. Now go into a home and compare the readings.

Mike P.

Mike P.

wocolt

Mike:
Most commercial applications have had the losest readings. 0.1 to .02. Now go into a home and compare the readings.
I havent found this NOT to be the case at all, in two separate comercial buildings I have found and repaired sub-panels where the grounding conductor is bonded to the neutral. Both panels were fed by four conductors and the EMT was used as the grounding conductor but because of the neutral being bonded, the Neutral return current was sharing time with the actural neutral conductor and the incoming 1-1/4 conduit which carried the feeder conductors. Also there was a huge magnetic field so I put my clamp-on around the conduit and sure enough the conduit was carrying about 15 amps and the neutral had about 35 amps.
In both cases I replace the panels with Isolated neutrals and bonded the ground bar to the panel,... and just like magic the Neutral was carrying the full neutral current back to the source as it should be.
Also on these jobs there were neutrals inadvertantly grounded to the cases of the fluorescent fixtures which caused 'Objectionable current ' to flow on the conduit feeding the lights.
But the amzing thing of all is that this current will find any path to return to the source.
The code is specific when it comes to sub-panels,EXCEPT when it comes to farm wiring. A customer had to sell his best Boar for sausage, and your talking about 1500-2000 dollar loss becuase of stray voltage and ground currents. but that is another thread.\
As I said this is certainly a real problem and in some cases a hazard, but there are extreme solutions out there that would sack a lot of the success we in the trade have worked generations to help create/acheive.
WmOC

Status
Not open for further replies.