Boost-Buck Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
So what do you intend to do with this setup? Looks like the output voltage will depend on impedance of the load.

You may be able to put a rheostat in place of short circuiting the high voltage side of transformer and make a voltage regulator out of it.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I just hooked it up in a box so I can boost the voltage for my little ground rod SWER experiment. I had no idea it was going to turn into this much turmoil. I never once asked how to hook up a boost buck. I scrapped the original circuit I drew before I even posted it. I didn't even draw it out until after I scrapped it. I just wanted to see who else thought it was a bad idea to open circuit the primary.

I will never ever again post anything on here that I build or experiment with again. I can guarantee you that.

I'm not getting talked to like I am some sub normal apprentice, no way no how.

kwired

Electron manager
I just hooked it up in a box so I can boost the voltage for my little ground rod SWER experiment. I had no idea it was going to turn into this much turmoil. I never once asked how to hook up a boost buck. I scrapped the original circuit I drew before I even posted it. I didn't even draw it out until after I scrapped it. I just wanted to see who else thought it was a bad idea to open circuit the primary.

I will never ever again post anything on here that I build or experiment with again. I can guarantee you that.

I'm not getting talked to like I am some sub normal apprentice, no way no how.

Don't let these guys get you down. There is a lot to learn here. You will be criticized for everything you do, sometimes you learn from it sometimes you just find some people are not happy unless ruffling someone elses feathers.

I found your experiment a little interesting:thumbsup:

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Yeah I know, sometimes it just gets a little old. I get a lot of comments in real life too, taking care of my mom, listening to people telling me what they would do, but yet they have never done it. I can't tell you how many people I have tossed out of here lately. And in a few cases, I literally mean tossed :happyyes:

That'll teach em to come here spouting advise they got from watching oprah and dr phill lol

My thing is, "you want to help, wash that bed pan, and dump that catheter bag. Oh and after you're done that, the kitchen needs cleaned"

Last edited:

Joethemechanic

Occupation
You know, I want to take this SWER experiment up a notch.

Wadda you think,

I was thinking neon sign transformers for step on the step up and step down.

Anybody else got a better idea for transformers?

Whatever it is, I got to find it somewhere, I think the highest voltage transformers I have around are 480V on the high side. I want to try something at least 5KV for the earth transmission.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
A pair of these babies might just work :happyyes:

Need some Packard 440 ignition wire too, but just for the ends. Too expensive to run a couple hundred feet of it.

For the aerial portion, I'll just run bare steel.

Now how do I keep the cats from getting shocked?

Attachments

• NST.JPG
    NST.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 0

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
We have moved too far from the original question, and instead appear to be heading towards ranting.

Status
Not open for further replies.