Booster Pump Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Could be that the tank is either buried or on grade with no additional elevation, but is on a hill giving it elevation in relation to most of those served by it, but OP situation is near enough that there is not much elevation above his location.
That's right, in fact I have installed a pressure booster pump for someone in a similar situation. He lived at the top of a hill, the municipal storage tank was built into the hill next to his property. But the top of the tank was basically at his grade, so the tank pressure did him no good at all. His service was tapped off of the 24" line that was feeding the tank from the well field in the valley below, so whenever the tank level was high and they didn't need to fill it much, the pumps down below were scaled back and his pressure went to almost nothing. That was n the days before VFDs were practical so it was a bladder tank setup. Honestly, even though it could be done with a VFD now, the bladder tank setup is probably better if only because of the simplicity of it. Pump, pressure switch, tank, check valve. Done.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Hydropneumatic Tank

Hydropneumatic Tank

That's right, in fact I have installed a pressure booster pump for someone in a similar situation. He lived at the top of a hill, the municipal storage tank was built into the hill next to his property. But the top of the tank was basically at his grade, so the tank pressure did him no good at all. His service was tapped off of the 24" line that was feeding the tank from the well field in the valley below, so whenever the tank level was high and they didn't need to fill it much, the pumps down below were scaled back and his pressure went to almost nothing. That was n the days before VFDs were practical so it was a bladder tank setup. Honestly, even though it could be done with a VFD now, the bladder tank setup is probably better if only because of the simplicity of it. Pump, pressure switch, tank, check valve. Done.

As JRAEF has suggested, this is my experience when all other noted factors have been ruled out use of booster pump with a tank system.
I have an excellent water systems supplier in Colorado if needed. First rate technical builder of surface water treatment systems.

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.