Booster pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have domestic water booster pump 480V, 3 phase with (3) 15HP motors being fed by single 90A breaker size.

I am not sure but is 90A breaker correct size? Would 430 or 422 come into play? What would be correct breaker size?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Art 430 would apply.
Ate you askimg about the feeder breaker for all 3 pumps ??
You tell us what breaker you think would be correct and based on what Code Section !! (Only way you will learn)
Then we will comment

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Art 430 would apply.
You tell us what breaker you think would be correct and based on what Code Section !! (Only way you will learn)
Then we will comment

From switchboard I have branch circuit breaker feeding the booster pump that contains or has quantity 3 15hp motors.

430.52?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Art 430 would apply.
Then we will comment

I have 90A breaker from switchboard to domestic water booster pump model Alyan VSPMT-275115-3-15, qty (3) 15HP located in Fire pump room. Its triplex pump all tie to control panel. All can be run same time. Do I use one motor or all motor to size breaker?

Is it 430.52?

Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Make model does not matter, need name plate data.

Its not installed in field. All the items I post they are on plans. However this booster pump triplex is new

Schedule for it just shows (3) 15Hp, 480V, 3 phase, 60Hz thats all
f40616d46e0ab3ce7f4a5070987e89c8.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Other than showing the correct method for calculating the breaker, this may all be a moot point anyway.
If you are reviewing electrical plans, what size conductor is the 90 amp breaker protecting ??

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The single 90A breaker in the distribution panel cannot be the branch SCPD for those individual pumps, it is a feeder to them. Assuming, because it is a “triplex” pump panel, that they are operated from a control panel, each pump controller would require its own branch SCPD (breaker, fuses, motor protector). Hopefully that’s what they are providing and if so your breaker will just be a feeder. If not, and they want 3 non-combination starters hanging on the wall all protected by just that single 90A breaker, that isn’t going to fly.

NTesla76

Occupation
Electrics
Pardon my ignorance if this has been mentioned before, but what is your involvement in the electrical field, hhsting?

Status
Not open for further replies.