BOSE speaker wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

DE_man

I just bought a new bose sound system and the speaker wires that came with it is not long enough. What is the best way to splice speaker wire? on one end is a RC jack the other end is just wire.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
not to hijack, just thought of a funny story:

i was at best buy a couple of months ago buying something i didn't need i'm sure, and some guy was asking the store employee for "bose speaker wire". He was telling the store employee about how it must be a superior type of wire because it had the bose name, and he only wanted the BEST in his system. I was laughing all the way to the truck. Anyhow, back to what you were saying. . . .

i would just use a butt splice too.

Rampage_Rick

I did some work for an "Audiophile" who swore up and down about CAT5 that he braided himself. If I remember correctly, a pair of 20-foot "cables" required around 300-feet of CAT5 and about a week to skin, braid, and solder. The best part was that he wouldn't even spring for gold-plated bannana-jack terminals for his "cable"

FiveWires.jpg

I've been of the opinion that the only factor affecting performance of speaker wire is the wire gauge. 12 or 14 works great. Now I wonder if Bose uses that dinky 24-ga wire on their stuff? Might be able to splice it with Scotchlocks UR2s

ultramegabob

Rampage_Rick said:
I did some work for an "Audiophile" who swore up and down about CAT5 that he braided himself. If I remember correctly, a pair of 20-foot "cables" required around 300-feet of CAT5 and about a week to skin, braid, and solder. The best part was that he wouldn't even spring for gold-plated bannana-jack terminals for his "cable"

FiveWires.jpg

I've been of the opinion that the only factor affecting performance of speaker wire is the wire gauge. 12 or 14 works great. Now I wonder if Bose uses that dinky 24-ga wire on their stuff? Might be able to splice it with Scotchlocks UR2s

what exactly was he swearing about it?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i get the impression the guy thought insulating each individual strand improves performance. the lengths some people will go for an inaudible difference. . . .

Rampage_Rick

I remember reading about some double-blind test they did where the "audiophiles" prefered the sound from 59-cent K-mart special zip cord...

"Pulling harmonics together from a jumbled auditory stream to form a coherent harmonic envelope."

"Harmonic textures ebbed and flowed with startling dynamic nuances and the sort of liquidity and purity one only comes to associate with world-class audio products."

Now where can I get a device to correct the "doppler distortion inherent in microphones"?

Last edited:

HighWirey

peter d said:
Wire nuts should be fine.

But wire nuts are only effective if you are splicing that gold 'color' wire to other gold wire. And only if you use my special, patented, gold colored wirenuts.

I have a limited supply available. E-mail me at BR549.com . . .

Best Wishes Everyone

brian john

There is no doubt that in any hobby, or profession top of the line equipment can make a difference. But there is a line where one goes from professional or hobbyist to a LOONY FRUITCAKE, and no amount of logic, engineering, surveys or blind test will dissuade this person from their pursuit of the above ultimate whatever.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Most people don't have a good enough ear to hear the difference in most sound systems and wouldn't know what they were listening for even if they did.

They will mess around with the equipment and the wiring and most don't even realize that the lay out of the furniture in your room can affect the quality of the sound.

My hearing is getting so bad that I just need for it to be loud. :grin:

Rampage_Rick said:
I remember reading about some double-blind test they did where the "audiophiles" prefered the sound from 59-cent K-mart special zip cord...

I saw an article along this lines as well. I wonder if the result would be the same if they went back 4 years later and did the same test. I'm betting not... Although, then you wouldn't have to use the special gold colored wire nuts, you could just use greenies :grin:

stickboy1375

DE_man said:
I just bought a new bose sound system and the speaker wires that came with it is not long enough. What is the best way to splice speaker wire? on one end is a RC jack the other end is just wire.

Just use wire nuts, thats what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.