Box extenders but not really...

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Me neither, did not know they existed.:mad: It is way better than the single gangs, I do alot of this type of extension work and I am going to get some ASAP. Thanks Infinity.:grin:

Yes, they're better than a typical handibox collar like Jumper posted because they fit better over the single gang hole in the surface.

macmikeman

I buy that particular box with the single gang knock out by the caseload. I work in schools alot. They are very handy for add ons. I was supposed to put in two today matter of fact, but instead I am down for the count while I put in a new water pump into my Express van.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've also always called them extension boxes, and the 1-gang ones are extension handy boxes.

Yes, they're better than a typical handibox collar like Jumper posted because they fit better over the single gang hole in the surface.
I've used them, too. Especially handy for wiring updating in existing commercial-kitchen Ansul-type systems.

Added: You might consider washers for the 6-32s that hold them onto the existing box or ring. The T-shaped slots are kinda big.

Last edited:

hockeyoligist2

I have a question about box extenders, so instead of a new thread I will ask here

I have a question about box extenders, so instead of a new thread I will ask here

We call them box extenders too. My question is: How many can you add? This morning I opened a 4x4 box with an extension while troubleshooting a light. It is a fairly new install by a contractor. It was surface mounted about 18' from the floor and so full I couldn't get the wires back in to the box. I added another extension. I shouldn't even mention the conduit fill........

We call them box extenders too. My question is: How many can you add?

There is a picture floating around here somewhere. Atleast I think I saw it here. It was in a commercial/industrial basement looking area. Was probably atleast a foot and a half worth of box extenders. Kid you not. Was pretty funny but scary as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.