Box fill? I don't need no stinkin box fill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Here is a j-box that feeds a 60 amp panel in an out building, I thought you guys and gals might get a kick out of this, there are 6#4with 8#12's spliced in this standard depth, two gang bell box. They have a short somewhere after it leaves here. I wonder why?:lol:

Attachments

• J-box 001.jpg
    J-box 001.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0

marti smith

Hard to tell, but to me, it looks like the stake-on is crimped to a green (12?) that is on the far right side behind some of the other wires. I suspect they meant to bond their box and afterward "O darn, O well" and left it. Fits well with all the shoulda-woulda-coulda's of the whole thing.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I've told this story before, but I had a guy stuff a conduit full of wire and I told him "you can't do that" and he got this really stupid look on his face and I said "I'm sorry, obviously you can do that because you did, but you're not allowed to." "ohhhhh":happyno:

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
How big is that box? With #4 conductors doing a U pull and 3/4" conduit, you'd need 6 * 3/4" = 4.5" to the opposite wall. Looks close. There are probably plenty of cubic inches for the smaller conductors after that.

If he'd used the proper 1" conduit, then the box would be too small since it would need to be 6" from wall to wall.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I pulled it all apart, and found it was actually#2, instead of #4! They are coming into the back of the box with 3#12's, 1#10, and 3#2's. The pipe on the left has the #12's leaving the box, and the pipe on the right has the 3#2's and 1#10 leaving the box. It goes about 30' and turns up in a 4x4x4 PVC j-box, making a "U" turn down into a 1" which goes another 30', and turns up into a 8x8x6 PVC j-box, which loops back out in a 1 1/4" to the nema 3R load center at the irrigation control panel. Apparently they decided after the first and second pulls, they needed a bigger pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.