Box Fill

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Has anyone ever used a scrap piece of 14-3 or 12-3 to loop between receptacles? It's better than just scrapping a piece of cable for less than what we paid for it. My question is, if I cap off the red wire instead of cutting it off, does that conductor count as an allowance for box fill? The obvious answer is yes, but if you look at the way it is written in 314.16 (B)(1), I'm not convinced that you would have to count it. Any thoughts on this?

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
I agree according to (B)(1) it must be counted.
I'm not saying that "common sense" wouldn't tell us to not count the conductor as it takes up space. But I've never been told that the NEC is common sense. I'm just looking at it as I would "Charlie's Rule."

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Common sense aside the requirement is that if it does two things in needs to be counted. "Each conductor that originates outside the box and terminates or is spliced within the box ". It must start outside the box AND terminate in the box. If the spare conductor is not terminating within the box then what is it doing?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
So, does that mean it isn't counted if it is just the 'bare' end hanging in the box?
I'd say a bare "end" is still a termination, the conductor obviously terminates there and doesn't continue.

Regardless, once you fix the violation by properly terminating the conductor, e.g. with a wire nut, it's definitely a termination.

Cheers, Wayne

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I'd say a bare "end" is still a termination, the conductor obviously terminates there and doesn't continue.

Regardless, once you fix the violation by properly terminating the conductor, e.g. with a wire nut, it's definitely a termination.

Cheers, Wayne
Why is a wirenut required?
I know I would use one, but I consider it a design choice.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't understand the argument here. What's the difference if the conductor ends on a device or is terminated into a wirenut. I believe the intent here is have enough room in the box if, someday, the wire were put to use.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I don't understand the argument here. What's the difference if the conductor ends on a device or is terminated into a wirenut. I believe the intent here is have enough room in the box if, someday, the wire were put to use.
How do you know the conductors may be used? Isn't it possible they are abandoned?