box fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

duke617

I am in the appreticeship class and one of my box fill questions has a bonding jumper in it and I was wondering what everyone thinks about whether you count it as a conductor or not. We have differing opions in class. Nec reference 314.16(B)(1) and 314.16(B)(5) Thank you for your time

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You should follow NEC 314.16(B)(5). All the EGC's including bonding jumpers add up to one volume based on the largest EGC or EBJ.

If there are no EGC's then there would be no additional conductor volume added to the calculation for a bonding jumper.

314.16(B) Box Fill Calculations. The volumes in paragraphs 314.16(B)(1) through (B)(5), as applicable, shall be added together. No allowance shall be required for small fittings such as locknuts and bushings.
(1) Conductor Fill. Each conductor that originates outside the box and terminates or is spliced within the box shall be counted once, and each conductor that passes through the box without splice or termination shall be counted once. Each loop or coil of unbroken conductor not less than twice the minimum length required for free conductors in 300.14 shall be counted twice. The conductor fill shall be calculated using Table 314.16(B). A conductor, no part of which leaves the box, shall not be counted.

duke617

All of the guys in my class say no, going with 314.15(B)(1), but our instructor and the answer sheet say yes, going with 314..15(B)(5). The question just said a bonding jumper.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
All of the guys in my class say no, going with 314.15(B)(1), but our instructor and the answer sheet say yes, going with 314..15(B)(5). The question just said a bonding jumper.

I think that you meant 314.16 not .15.

The bonding jumper does not count if it does not enter or leave the box.
314.16(B)(5) Equipment Grounding Conductor Fill. Where one or more equipment grounding conductors or equipment bonding jumpers enter a box, a single volume allowance in accordance with Table 314.16(B) shall be made based on the largest equipment grounding conductor or equipment bonding jumper present in the box. Where an additional set of equipment grounding conductors, as permitted by 250.146(D), is present in the box, an additional volume allowance shall be made based on the largest equipment grounding conductor in the additional set.
314.16(B)(1) Conductor Fill. Each conductor that originates outside the box and terminates or is spliced within the box shall be counted once, and each conductor that passes through the box without splice or termination shall be counted once. Each loop or coil of unbroken conductor not less than twice the minimum length required for free conductors in 300.14 shall be counted twice. The conductor fill shall be calculated using Table 314.16(B). A conductor, no part of which leaves the box, shall not be counted.

Status
Not open for further replies.