Box Sizing for Signaling Circuits Article 725.1 and 314.28

Status
Not open for further replies.

akazici

Article 725.1 from NEC 2011 states :

"This article covers remote-control, signaling, and powerlimitedcircuits that are not an integral part of a device or appliance."

The handbook has the explanation that it would cover intercom, nurse call,burglary alarm systems and so on.

Then it describes which other sections apply :

725.3 Other Articles
Circuits and equipment shall comply with the articles or sections listed in 725.3(A) through (J). Only those sections of Article 300 referenced in this article shall apply to Class 1,
Class 2, and Class 3 circuits.

(A) Number and Size of Conductors in Raceway. Section 300.17.

However it does not refer to box fill calculations or box sizing explained in 314.28.

Am I missing something on sizing boxes for signal cabling ?

JFletcher

Article 725.1 from NEC 2011 states :

"This article covers remote-control, signaling, and powerlimitedcircuits that are not an integral part of a device or appliance."

The handbook has the explanation that it would cover intercom, nurse call,burglary alarm systems and so on.

Then it describes which other sections apply :

725.3 Other Articles
Circuits and equipment shall comply with the articles or sections listed in 725.3(A) through (J). Only those sections of Article 300 referenced in this article shall apply to Class 1,
Class 2, and Class 3 circuits.

(A) Number and Size of Conductors in Raceway. Section 300.17.

However it does not refer to box fill calculations or box sizing explained in 314.28.

Am I missing something on sizing boxes for signal cabling ?

I may be wrong, but I dont think there is a box fill limit for Chapter 7 and 8 installs. I know that chapter 8 installs are exempt from raceway fill charts in chapter 3.

Considering they make 6 port single gang plates, I'd assume it's legal/ok to put 6 cat5e/coax cables in a single gang box, tho you probably wouldnt want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.