Box truck as a service vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I was told by the U-Haul truck sales person that it is extremely hard to get used 10' trucks because they get snapped up instantly (by A/C contractors he said). If I got one I would have a shop fabricate an aluminum cabover box that would add three feet for 12' ladders and conduit.
Then stuff it full or RMC so it gets top heavy? :)

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Then stuff it full or RMC so it gets top heavy? :)
No. Build supports to hold ladder and conduit independent of cabover box. The ladder and conduit just project into the area. U-Haul limits weight in the cabover box of their 14' trucks to 300 lbs. The conduit I carry is usually PVC and EMT (plus a few sticks of allthread, strut, and wiremold). For those rare times I'm doing a job in RMC, I would lay the conduit on the deck and leave the roll-up door ajar.

Last edited:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I worked for a guy with some type box truck, a Chevy. Only good thing about it was lots if outside bins. So tall the pipe carrier was hard to use, box too short to hold a bundle of pipe, too tall & wide for tight spaces. Fairly good squared space to carry lots of boxes if needed. Overall, all the cons of a large truck but few of the pros.
Carefully consider the places you go & what you have to carry.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I worked for a guy with some type box truck, a Chevy. Only good thing about it was lots if outside bins. So tall the pipe carrier was hard to use, box too short to hold a bundle of pipe, too tall & wide for tight spaces. Fairly good squared space to carry lots of boxes if needed. Overall, all the cons of a large truck but few of the pros.
Carefully consider the places you go & what you have to carry.
Since reasonably priced used box trucks are hard to find right now, I have been looking at all the alternatives. All of them have a serious downside. Too long, or too small, or too expensive. A 12' used (but well maintained) box truck would be the ideal service vehicle for me. I have decided to wait until one is available even though I have two trucks down and the third is having problems right now. It's just a matter of time before it strands me someplace. I hope in the near future to post pictures of said box truck all upfitted and filled. I believe the proof will be in the pictures.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I’ve thought about a bread truck, unlike vans, stand up access front to rear. Unlike box trucks, easy access to tools and material without having to climb.
Same guy I knew also had a very small truck similar to a bread truck. Strange but it had stand up room & front to back for pipe. UCP or some such. Can’t find on Google. Probably underpowered though.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, I found a beautiful used box truck for a great price and bought it.
One owner, 2013 Ford F-350 cut-away, dual rear wheels, 103K miles, $18.9K + TTT
Box is 11.5' long, 7.5' wide, and 7' high. Some mods for the 12' ladders will be needed.
The owner actually traded in three identical trucks for newer ones. Guess his business is doing well.
Drove nice, maintained by the same dealer I bought it from, Looked at the maintenance records.
Here it is. I'll be posting pictures of the upfit. I pick it up on Friday.
My only concern is the price of lumber and metal shelving. Upfit is going to be more expensive then usual.

boxtruck.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.