Branch Circuit For Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymari

yea looks like 20amps for this setup. If you're 100' away to the first fixture dont forget to bump up to # 10's. Not implying u weren't aware of that , I was just saying...

Smart $

Esteemed Member
i agree now that we know its just 100' run
Actually, I included the OPer's post on 100' just to indicate I was replying to him. I don't believe it would have been worth the bother no matter the length... its only one vs. two circuits, perhaps 3 wires vs. 4 smaller ones (including EGC).

bobbymari

Actually, I included the OPer's post on 100' just to indicate I was replying to him. I don't believe it would have been worth the bother no matter the length... its only one vs. two circuits, perhaps 3 wires vs. 4 smaller ones (including EGC).

since no mention of just how many lights are being installed in parking structure are you certain there are only 2 circuits needed? So if a number of circuits are needed, a subpanel absolutly makes sense. As I stated I agree under the scenario you mentioned along with the length of the run. Yet if more than a couple circuits are needed put in a sub and branch out from there. But since you weren't responding to my post, my appologies.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Well, the way I interpret it, i have 6-bulb T8 fluorescent fixtures, so that doesn't classify as "heavy-duty lampholder. am i interpreting it right?
I have brought this question up before and that is basically the consensus I got.

i thought i would be allowed to run #6s , and just tap off with # 14s, then there would be less wires going to the breaker panel, though that would only be allowed with heavy duty lamp holders, like those 400 watt metal halide.

This does present a problem when converting HID luminaires that were wired that way to fluorescent luminaires.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
since no mention of just how many lights are being installed in parking structure are you certain there are only 2 circuits needed? So if a number of circuits are needed, a subpanel absolutly makes sense. As I stated I agree under the scenario you mentioned along with the length of the run. Yet if more than a couple circuits are needed put in a sub and branch out from there. But since you weren't responding to my post, my appologies.
OPer mentioned 30A using #6 for the one circuit. Two 15 or 20A circuits would provide enough to power the same number of fixtures.

bobbymari

OPer mentioned 30A using #6 for the one circuit. Two 15 or 20A circuits would provide enough to power the same number of fixtures.

not to beat a dead horse but he actually mentioned 30 amp circuit(s) in which he could tap off of in which i interpreted as more than one 30 amp circuit. Regardless, I think the actual question of whether or not a larger circuit can be tapped for this install has been answered, so on to the next subject

Smart $

Esteemed Member
not to beat a dead horse but he actually mentioned 30 amp circuit(s) in which he could tap off of in which i interpreted as more than one 30 amp circuit.
Went back and reread. You are correct. He wrote "circuits". But it could have been one to the right and one to the left. I hate it when posters leave out details that may be pertinent.

Regardless, I think the actual question of whether or not a larger circuit can be tapped for this install has been answered, so on to the next subject
Fine by me... so quit replying to my posts ;)

Last edited:

bobbymari

Went back and reread. You are correct. He wrote "circuits". But it could have been one to the right and one to the left. I hate it when posters leave out details that may be pertinent.

Fine by me... so quit replying to my posts ;)

Hahahaha You got it there bud just saw this last one. Have yourself a great day, work safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.