brand of antishort bushing

JJWalecka

never seems to be enough redheads with MC reels lately. is there a really heavy duty type of antishort bushing that you would recommend? part number? thx

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Anti Short bushings are not required for MC so I wouldn't worry too much.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Years ago when we were still using AC cable there was a new type of anti-short bushing that was made from a hard plastic. It also was longer than usual and had a small tab to hold it in place. Not sure who made them. I'll look through my junk box maybe I can find one.

JJWalecka

Years ago when we were still using AC cable there was a new type of anti-short bushing that was made from a hard plastic. It also was longer than usual and had a small tab to hold it in place. Not sure who made them. I'll look through my junk box maybe I can find one.
i would appreciate it

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
seen a few foreman that have a similar view personally i use them and i was curious if they made a durable tested brand an experienced peer could recommend
It's per the code and NEMA, it's not just a view, and your foreman were correct. Take a minute and read 320.20 and 330.20 and note the difference in the wording. We use to buy them in 100 count bags for HCF, I believe Arlington.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I have seen a similar looking bushing at Big Orange but I think only in 1/2 and 3/4. Installs same way, doesn't have little flag though. Is heavier plastic. I too like to use bushings with MC if I have them. Extra protection never hurts and may help. Some of the insulated connectors are good and some are lousy.

garbo

We always used anti shorts on all armored cable. Cut the armor at a 45 degree angle to lesson chance of sharp edge cutting thru insulation. It seemed like various sizes of anti short bushings that I ordered from electrical supply house were longer & had a better shoulder on the then a lot of cheap thin anti short bushings that came with AC & MC cable. Years ago we purchased various size heavy fiber bushings made by Thomas & Betts for a few AC cables that were on equipment that had a lot of vibration.

JJWalecka

We always used anti shorts on all armored cable. Cut the armor at a 45 degree angle to lesson chance of sharp edge cutting thru insulation. It seemed like various sizes of anti short bushings that I ordered from electrical supply house were longer & had a better shoulder on the then a lot of cheap thin anti short bushings that came with AC & MC cable. Years ago we purchased various size heavy fiber bushings made by Thomas & Betts for a few AC cables that were on equipment that had a lot of vibration.
heavy fiber bushings for conduit or antishort bushings for AC? appreiciate your time