Break rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwalker

Just how far can we go before a break room becomes a kithchen ? I have a frig,microwave,coffee machine outlet,dishwasher in an office,aprox 150 sq feet.

jimwalker

Re: Break rooms

I am of same opinion.What i have is an office that the owners admit they will be living in part of it.Stamped prints call it breakroom but i alaso have a full bath ,dining room and sitting room.I brought up some concern over smoke detectors.They are asking me to some how provide an easy way to add a range after CO.Yes i know a way to hide what it is but this borders on violating several things

02 code does not give us a definition of a kitchen. so it leaves it up to the inspector. 05 gives us a definition, it says there must be a sink, a place to prepare food and a permanentmeans for cooking.

jimwalker

"permanent" is a touchy word.If it has a range receptacle but no range is that a permanent means of cooking?
All i can do for now is make all the outlets deep boxes so if inspectors says it commercial kithchen we can fix easy

jimwalker

If they push it to be a kitchen then i need gfci.We always use deep boxes on gfci receptacles.Yes zoning violation but how will they enforce that.Some buisnesses stay open 24 7
and having cooking and bath facilities is legal.

physis

Jim, I'm the only guy who should still be up (for two more minutes) at this hour!

You guys are just getting up huh? Time zoning problems too! :)

sandsnow

So if there is no dedicated space such as an upper cabinet with a shelf for the micro, is it a kitchen? Small lunch rooms this possible and fairly common. We final before the tenant brings in the micro

On the other hand it has been fairly common for designers to spec GFCI protected receps in the lunchroom anyway if there is a sink.

jimwalker

I am stuck with trying to get it to pass as a breakroom.The way this works here is a room is what its called on a stamped print.This office of about 3,000 sq ft was sold for almost $500,000.Seems they could afford a few safety items like smoke detecters and gfci.I did my duty by informing the owner of potential problems.As long as i wire whats on the print my a$$ is covered.

physis

I'm under the impression that a building department doesn't remove or change any liability by their acceptance of drawings or work.

I wish I could do that.

sandsnow

If something is conspicuous on the stamped drawings you have an argument. Well at least in my town. We will work with people.
If something is not conspicuous, it is covered by the hold harmless on the stamp.
It's nice to see such conscientious people concerned about such things.
I am disillusioned by electricians blindly following drawings.
What's worse is that some do it on purpose to get paid extras when the inspector writes it up. Another game that is played

Status
Not open for further replies.