Breaker Box - Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill addiss

Here's another example of things being in the wrong place. This was sent to Rick Miell a couple years back by a local Electrician. It appeared in EC&M Magazine (or CEE News?) some time ago, but for some reason Rick was not credited for it.

It is located inside a Shower/Tub area and was later moved to an outside wall:

SP.jpg

Bill

P.S. Edited to get Picture to display (thanks to Roger for his help :) )

Last edited:

boboelectric

Panel in basement "cubbyhole"

Panel in basement "cubbyhole"

I'm upgrading a service entrance this week in a corner hideout, in basement.do I eliminate cubbycloset,tell owner code, get inspection ,adios? just keep corner hideout(Closet)?

Bob O. 84,Pa.

Last edited:

Groovy

Well, those bathroom pictures are quite scary! If I had that problem, I would definately reroute everything. The box I have is in the opposite corner of the shower, toilet, and sink wall. I believe it was put there since that is where the power comes into the house. Little or no corrision in the breaker box at all.(I couldn't see any) I actually have a very dry basement, I have never had water in it for as long as I lived there. There is plenty of clearance in front of the box. This bathroom is quite big also, if could of been a very small bedroom/office if none of the bathroom stuff was installed. You would have to take a bucket of water and throw it at the box for it to come into contact with water.

haskindm

Groovy,
The code is based on generalities. In general a bathroom is a damp environment, and in general they are no bigger than they need to be. So generally it is not a good idea to install overcurrent devices in such a location. (Did I use the word "general" enough?) Between the moisture and the difficulty in providing proper clearances, the code panel decided to prohibit these devices in bathrooms.
In reality, I would prefer to see a panel intalled as you have described (dry location, away from moisture sources, plenty of clearance) than in a damp, musty (but legal) basement location. I would not worry too much about the location of your panel. Be aware of the possible concerns and do what you can to minimize them (keep the panel dry and maintain the needed working clearances) and go on with life.

Don't be Naive !!! Look close at the picture!
what do we know for sure about the picture?
1) wooden stained window. How long could that hold up in a wet location?
2) Missing curtain on window, has been removed, meaning cloth covered window treatment. This would not last long inside a shower
3) Plastic laminate on the walls but ,,, not necessarily is this only in the wet shower area.

Things you are assuming...
Picture is taken from the outside of the shower? I doubt it! I'd bet the picture taker is standing in the shower looking out.
You cannot see the shower controls or head so don't assume where it is.

in the same mess kind of

in the same mess kind of

i am a third year of school to be a electrician we are doing a remodel on a house the panel is in the bathroom.the home owners want to update the house so we are putting a new panel in.the company ower and the master who does the bidding for the company told us to put it back in the bathroom because there was no code against it.the jorymen and i didn't think this was allowed but when we said anything they said show us in the code where it says you can't.we didn't know where to look in the code book.

Minuteman

arkansaselectrician said:
i am a third year of school to be a electrician we are doing a remodel on a house the panel is in the bathroom.the home owners want to update the house so we are putting a new panel in.the company ower and the master who does the bidding for the company told us to put it back in the bathroom because there was no code against it.the jorymen and i didn't think this was allowed but when we said anything they said show us in the code where it says you can't.we didn't know where to look in the code book.

Try 240.24(E)

Status
Not open for further replies.