breaker box clearance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvf1118

I have a inspecter that said I have to have 30 inches on both sides of the box 200 or 100 amp. He also said that it can not be in a closet with a door . If you have a 50 year old house changing out the box in a small closet with out 30 inches on both sides, 60 plus box, he will make you put the box on the out side of the house, any help here would be great. Thanks :confused:

iwire

Staff member
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

JES2727

If you were in New Jersey you would be permitted to install a replacement panel in the existing location. The rules are different elsewhere. It would be helpful if you would include your location.

shepelec

Its 30" total width. There does not need to be 30" on each side. 110.26

A panel can not be installed in a clothes closet or in a closet with flamable material.
There is no restriction on having a door on the closet. 240.24 (2) (D)

stew

In addition I have never seen a closet that is less than 30 inches wide. your panel is no doubt 15 inches overal width so you are only required to have an additional 7.5 inches on each side or whatever combination gives you 30 TOTAL inches including the panel width. Wonder how long this inspector has been inspecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.