Electrician
What is the point of Breaker handle ties

1 .What are they used for

2 . when would I need it

Let me know thanks again electrical fam

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I think it mainly came about with office furniture. They usually have three or four circuits, unqualified people were disconnecting cubicles, and would only turn off one circuit, leaving the other circuits hot, creating a dangerous condition.

What is the point of Breaker handle ties

1 .What are they used for

2 . when would I need it

Let me know thanks again electrical fam
The primary situation where you need a handle tie but not a common trip, is for multi wire Branch circuits. In my experience, most people use two or three pole breakers instead of handle ties. But if you price it out, it's a lot cheaper to use single pole breakers and handle ties for a 3x multi wire instead of a three pole breaker.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The most common application here for many years was for MWBC and multiple circuits fedding one device.
As to your "why"... It's a safety issue to help protect folks (especially non-electricians) avoid shock from 2nd (or 3rd) circuits or from the neutral (backfeed) when dealing with MWBC (or multiple cirrcuits on one device).
Without the requirement it was comonplace to turn off one breaker and assume the entire circuit was not energized.