Breaker Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff43222

The other day at a kitchen rough-in inspection, the inspector told me to make sure I put a breaker lock on the dishwasher when it gets installed. I wrote this down on my list, but I was a little confused as to why he would ask for this. The only "breaker lock" I'm familiar with is the kind used to lock out breakers in a panel so someone won't energize the circuit while someone else is working on it, and I'm not really sure how that would be relevant to a dishwasher installation, unless he wanted to be sure that whoever installs the appliance doesn't get zapped.

Is there some other kind of breaker lock I'm not aware of?

bphgravity

Re: Breaker Lock

Appliances are required to have a means of disconnect. For dishwashers, you have a few options.

Some dishwashers will qualify under section 422.34 if the unit switch has a marked-off position and opens all ungrounded conductors.

Dishwashers are permitted to be cord-and-plug connected per section 422.16(B)(2) and section 422.33(A) permits this connection to serve as the disconnecting means.

422.31(B) provides a third disconnecting option. This allows the branch circuit breaker to serve as the disconnecting means if it is within sight of the appliance or can be loacked in the open position.

I would assume based on your post that you plan on hard-wiring the dishwasher and will not provide a switch or disconnect at the dishwashers, therefore the inspector is requesting the breaker to have a lockout device installed.

jeff43222

As far as I know, the dishwasher is going to be hardwired, but I know little beyond that. The GC hasn't given me much in the way of specs for the appliances, so for the rough-in, all I could do was have tails of cable hanging loose for future installation. I'm guessing that when the inspector saw the tails, he assumed the dishwasher would be hardwired, so he invoked 422.31(B) when he made the comment about the breaker lock.

But if I'm reading 422.34 correctly, as long as the dishwasher has an "off" position, a breaker lock isn't required (the panel is not within sight of the dishwasher, either). I guess I'll have to wait until the appliances arrive.

Thanks for the code references.

macmikeman

The posts above left out option #4. You can put a switch into the circuit if it is accesable and located in direct line of sight of the dishwasher, and is not more than 50 feet away.
I put mine in the cabinet under the sink.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Yeah, Friday I saw a Kenmore with pushbutton controls on it. All there was to shut off the dishwasher was a pushbutton with "cancel" on it.

luke warmwater

I haven't seen that one before.

My guess is that 'cancel' means 'off' but I undestand Code says 'off'.

So, technically that one would need a breaker lock-off ord cord/plug connection, etc.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I kinda question the point behind 422.31. So the power supplying a device that utilizes less than 300VA is less dangerous than the power supplying a dishwasher pulling 900VA? Um..kay.

Is it that much more likely that one will get accidentally turned on during repair than the other? The unit switch on a dishwasher is not going to facilitate it's replacement. One would need to turn the breaker off if it's hard-wired.

I could see a difference between residential and commercial appliances. In a house, there are generally too few people around to generate an accident that would be prevented by a breaker-lock. In a commercial setting, LOTO is enforced and highly necessary.

I know it sounds like I'm throwing caution to the wind for houses, but I see caution somewhat thrown to the wind in 422.31(A).

Any insight on this?

[ February 27, 2005, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

coppertreeelectric

When we reference dishwashers without an off position I am guessing we are talking about dishwashers with digital buttons/controls without a mechanical knob off position?

Status
Not open for further replies.