Breaker requirements for panel upgrade

Davezaino1968

Occupation
General Foreman
I'm changing the panel in my house in Federal Way Wa. Taking out 1962 Federal Pacific to Leviton smart panel. I understand that the inspector can't give advice on how to perform the work, however me and my electrician want to make sure we pass inspection to get the power turned back on. NEC code states we don't need to upgrade to AFI or GFCI if we aren't adding circuits or extending less than 6 feet, which I'm not. Has anyone had similar experiences and if so, what was directed by the inspector to satisfy? If my inspector won't make a prior on site visit, how am I supposed to be 100 percent prepared for my final? I have this fear of him saying, nope...not what I want to see. It seems fairly straight forward, so am I making too much of this?
Thank you from first time poster.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm changing the panel in my house in Federal Way Wa. Taking out 1962 Federal Pacific to Leviton smart panel. I understand that the inspector can't give advice on how to perform the work, however me and my electrician want to make sure we pass inspection to get the power turned back on. NEC code states we don't need to upgrade to AFI or GFCI if we aren't adding circuits or extending less than 6 feet, which I'm not. Has anyone had similar experiences and if so, what was directed by the inspector to satisfy? If my inspector won't make a prior on site visit, how am I supposed to be 100 percent prepared for my final? I have this fear of him saying, nope...not what I want to see. It seems fairly straight forward, so am I making too much of this?
Thank you from first time poster.
I just replaced the panel in my own home with a new 200 amp service and not one AFCI breaker. It's not required by the NEC.

Davezaino1968

Occupation
General Foreman
Thank you. Again, I might be reading too much into the process for a panel swap. All this is driven by two recent EV vehicles being purchased and need to up the amps to the garage.

Davezaino1968

Occupation
General Foreman
L
I just replaced the panel in my own home with a new 200 amp service and not one AFCI breaker. It's not required by the NEC.

I would think your electrician would be familiar with the local requirements.

We upgraded breakers to AFCI only when required, because of adding the 6'or modifying the circuit otherwise.
We both are up to date on NEC. Just no local information on whether our inspector will go above the NEC and get picky with AFI or GFCI. I appreciate everyone's information

Make sure you have addressed the exterior disconnect requirement. Your electrician should be familiar with this. The WAC provides additional guidance on when the exterior is disconnected required for upgrades:

085(C) Replacements.
(11) This subsection replaces NEC 230.85(C). When service equipment suppling one- and two-family dwellings is replaced, an emergency disconnecting means must be installed whenever the service ampacity is increased or decreased, or when any of the following are relocated: Service disconnects, meter bases, overhead service masts, or underground service risers

Davezaino1968

Occupation
General Foreman
Yes, all good there. Installing meter/disconnect box outside. Replacing weatherhead and 2 inch riser also to conform with current height requirements. Will ground to 2 ground rods and water main as well.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We both are up to date on NEC. Just no local information on whether our inspector will go above the NEC and get picky with AFI or GFCI. I appreciate everyone's information
If the adopted code is the NEC then there is nothing to get picky about. The code is clear on this one. So unless there is a local code amendment no AFCI protection required.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Note that if you happen to change out an existing receptacle, that receptacle needs to follow the current rules for grounding, tamper resistance, weather resistance, GFCI, and AFCI. I have not seen an inspector enforce this, but it can be obvious in older houses that things have been changed. You can use AFCI receptacles, but why mess with those when an AFCI breaker probably works better. See NEC 406.4(D) for details.

Are these answers based on the current code in use in WA?
Yes the answer I gave in post #7 is from the Washington Administrative Code 296.46(B) which has the electrical requirements. In Washington there is also this thing called "Washington cities electrical code" which some cities adopt, but federal way does not appear to be one of them. It is possible the city of Federal Way has its own electrical code / amendments but I doubt it.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Scalawag states like New Jersey amend out safety outlets, so remodel outlets are no worries for you.

Where 2011 NEC was adopted unmolested, remodel outlets are construction defects until protected by the required xFCI.

Asking panel flippers to bid new fuse boxes with AFCI's provides owners a more information decision.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I still think there was nothing wrong with fuses, properly implemented.

The homes I grew up in had fuses, and nothing ever failed to work properly.