Breaker Style Numbers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMuse97

the style numbers I'm familiar with refer to the internals of the breaker (ie. shunt trip or aux. switch) or to the type of attachment to the buss. Maybe you could give an example of the type of breaker and what the Mfg. is calling "style numbers."

Maybe you could give an example of the type of breaker and what the Mfg. is calling "style numbers."
An example:

C-H #: FD3020
Style: 6639C82G85

It's typically found right under the cat #. I have found that styles are not always consistent w/ the same cat #.

Here's a better question... has anyone here that does short circuit/arc flash study work ever used style numbers???

Here's a pic... it's a C-H HCM3000F, style 6590C16G06 (upper right side):

iMuse97

That is exactly what I was thinking of: a C-H breaker with various style numbers that indicate what options are available on the particular Breaker, of a given catalog number. As to what they mean in your picture, it seems it indicates something regarding the adjustable amperage. More than that, I don't know. I don't order a lot of these. Sorry I took so long to respond; I was outside painting the fence.

Last edited:

SG-1

Hope this makes sense...

Hope this makes sense...

The style number is used to manufacture the breaker. This style number is consistent with the numbering system used by Westinghouse Electric before it was sold to CH. It consists of 10 digits. If you had access to the breakers " blue prints " they would have the first seven digits of that number on them. The parts list would have the first seven digits on them as well. The last three digits or the Group number subdivides the first seven digits. I am not familiar with this particular breaker, but the first seven digits could pick the frame size. The G Group number would then pick the different options that are offered on that frame. Trip rating, shunt trip voltage, etc...

I am more familiar with the MV breaker style numbers.

Did this help ?

SG-1

This explanation is better & shorter; The style number can be used to identify every nut, bolt, etc... that was used to assemble that breaker.

Every part in in the breaker also has a 10 digit style assigned to it.

As I recall when we are applying for a UL listing the style number is what is used to identify the assembly. I will try to confirm this later today. I feel the need to harass an engineer coming on.

The style number can be used to identify every nut, bolt, etc... that was used to assemble that breaker.
Thanks (all). That's what I was told by an Eaton sales engineer too and my post was an effort to back-up his statements. Not that I doubt him at all - just the opposite. I've got a client swearing that I need to collect style data along w/ other OCPD data in preparation for an arc flash study. While I'm not trying to go out of my way to prove/disprove the client, when you've got as many breakers to ID as I do on this project, collecting style data adds a very fair percentage of work relating to the OCPD.

Thanks again.

templdl

Style numbers originated with Westinghouse years ago.
It is actually a reference to a drawing. Each Westingouse facility was assigned a series of drawing numbers which included the first 7 didgets. by looking at this series of number one could tell whaich facility the drawing came from. The 'G' at the end stands for group. G88 would be group 88 of the drawing where the assembly is made up of a specific bill of material.The 'C stands for that it is a 'C' size drawing. This could also be A, B, or D size drawings.
Terminal the 150A frame breaker may be 624B100G02, 624B100G10 etc which is basically the same drawing except a different group of parts. On a give drawing a component may have a number of 624B100H01 (not a lagitimate number that I know of) which may be a screw. Notice the 'H'.

Status
Not open for further replies.