Breaker tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyoligist2

I was asked by a coworker to stop by and check why her bedroom breaker is tripping. She said that when she plugs anything in to any receptacle in her bedroom the breaker trips. She said she can reset it after its plugged in and it doesn't trip again. I asked her if the things she plugged in were in the on position and she said no. She said last night she turned off a lamp and moved it to another receptacle and it tripped.

I'm industrial so I know nothing about AFCI's. I assume it is an AFCI since the house was built a year or so ago.

What should I look for besides the obvious? I have read a lot here about nuisance tripping with AFCI's, any particular brand, style, ETC.?

Krim

hockeyoligist2 said:
I was asked by a coworker to stop by and check why her bedroom breaker is tripping. She said that when she plugs anything in to any receptacle in her bedroom the breaker trips. She said she can reset it after its plugged in and it doesn't trip again. I asked her if the things she plugged in were in the on position and she said no. She said last night she turned off a lamp and moved it to another receptacle and it tripped.

I'm industrial so I know nothing about AFCI's. I assume it is an AFCI since the house was built a year or so ago.

What should I look for besides the obvious? I have read a lot here about nuisance tripping with AFCI's, any particular brand, style, ETC.?

I'm not very familiar with the AFCI's either but I'd check to see if it happens at any particular receptacle first , if not I'd check the obvious such as that they're properly wired/connected of course it's hard to tell if there's a staple through the internal wiring , I,d also try swapping the supply circuit at the panel with another circuit to see if it is indeed a faulty CB . Even with new ones you can end up with a defective CB .

Carl

billsnuff

just wondering if the AFCI is doing its job and seeing a fault?

loose connection at back stab, wire nut on pig tale, faulty outlet connection to spade on plug, just tossing some things out there.......

i know AFCIs get beat up here somewhat, but what if :-?

haskindm

You have four choices.
1. The breaker is detecting and arc fault and tripping to protect the circuit.
2. The breaker is detecting a ground fault and tripping to protect the circuit.
3. The breaker is detecting an overload and is tripping to protect the circuit.
4. The breaker is defective.

Only a thorough analysis will reveal which choice is correct.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
haskindm said:
You have four choices.
1. The breaker is detecting and arc fault and tripping to protect the circuit.
2. The breaker is detecting a ground fault and tripping to protect the circuit.
3. The breaker is detecting an overload and is tripping to protect the circuit.
4. The breaker is defective.

Only a thorough analysis will reveal which choice is correct.

or 5. Your coworker was looking for an excuse to have you drop by :grin: :grin: (was there heavy perfume involved?)

hockeyoligist2

augie47 said:
or 5. Your coworker was looking for an excuse to have you drop by :grin: :grin: (was there heavy perfume involved?)

No perfume, she IS very cute, but has a boyfriend.

I think it is the breaker. After I spent an hour removing and checking all of the receptacles, lights, smoke detector. I swapped the wires to a breaker from one of her other bedrooms and the problem moved to that bedroom. I picked up a new one at the supply house this morning and will go by later today to install it.

I still don't understand why it is tripping. I checked the plug on the lamp and iron and circuit is open. Plug it in and the breaker trips immediately. Reset, turn the lamp and iron on, doesn't trip. Turn them off, unplug, plug back in it trips......

Maybe the house was built on an ancient burial ground?

hockeyoligist2 said:
No perfume, she IS very cute, but has a boyfriend.

I think it is the breaker. After I spent an hour removing and checking all of the receptacles, lights, smoke detector. I swapped the wires to a breaker from one of her other bedrooms and the problem moved to that bedroom. I picked up a new one at the supply house this morning and will go by later today to install it.

I still don't understand why it is tripping. I checked the plug on the lamp and iron and circuit is open. Plug it in and the breaker trips immediately. Reset, turn the lamp and iron on, doesn't trip. Turn them off, unplug, plug back in it trips......

Maybe the house was built on an ancient burial ground?

Sounds like it may be a 3-wire circuit and it is possible that the brand of CBer is not one of the ones that can be installed on a 3-wire circuit.

billsnuff

breaker??

breaker??

if i understood your post the problem moved to the other breaker when you moved the wiring. if that is so, i wouldn't change the breaker, i would change the outlet. pls disregard if i misunderstood. :confused:

Krim

hockeyoligist2 said:
I hope so Carl, work isn't fun, Freebie work is no fun for sure! I missed about 2 hours of TV, web browsing, and Miller Light! Today I'm hoping for only 1/2 hour of loss.

Let me guess why that is ... 1) Dinner or 2) Shower ?
I'd kinda think you'd do both 1&2 before going to bed, and thats gotta take more than 1/2 hour !

Carl :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.