Bright Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim k

1890s farm house with wiring that looks as if it was poorly updated in the '70s. Three panels, (two Zinsco), undersized system, workmanship looks like it was done by badgers, etc, etc.

Two interesting things. When the washing machine was running, the lights in several rooms dimmed in concert with the washer's pump motor. When the washer was in it's "chugging" mode the place felt like a disco. Now, obviously, that was due to i2r losses in the circuit, but here's the strange part. Whenever the refrigerator's compressor cycled on, these same lights would get brighter for a second or two. Much brighter.

Trying to puzzle this out: I've seen this happen on multi wire circuits when the neutral was disconnected, effectively turning it into a single 240v circuit, but the fridge and the lights weren't on multi wire circuits. Unless you consider the entire service to be one big multi-wire circuit. . .

Anyone have any "bright" ideas?

- Jim Katen, Oregon, Home Inspector

hurk27

Re: Bright Lights

As said the service is just one big multiwire circuit, and I2R losses in the service neutral conductor is a very good start and it could even be a bad neutral connection anywhere from the affected panel to the utility transformer. I would first place a good volt meter that has a hold feature to capture the sag/surge at the panel then call the utility to check the neutral connection at the meter to the transformer.

Also this can happen if the service cable is very long. ;)

tx2step

Yep -- I'd also bet on a bad neutral connection in the panel or upstream from there (anywhere upstream, all the way up to the transformer -- it could even be more than one bad connection).

mdshunk

Lights dimming along with lights getting brighter is always a sign of a loose (or absent) neutral. Loose in the panel, meter, aerial drop tap, or utility transformer.

[ July 24, 2005, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I agree with Jim also.

Roger

davedottcom

Yep, sounds like an open neutral. I found one on a boat dock the other week. 86 volts on one phase, 156 volts on the other! Owner said they got a tingle when getting into the boat... I took my meter to the boat and dropped one lead into the water: 65Volts! :eek:

Neutral connection in the Meter base was in real bad shape.

Dave

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by georgestolz:
Originally posted by jim k:
...workmanship looks like it was done by badgers, etc, etc.
What? Badgers have a reputation of good workmanship and code knowledge. :D
Badgers?

Badgers??

We don't need no stinken Badgers.
:D

jim k

Thanks everyone. And no offense to iwire -- I'm sure that the work wasn't done by any of his relations.

As for my role in all of this, I just find the problems and send them to an EC, as several of you rightly pointed out.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.