Bryant BREQS125 breaker hold-down kit

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If anyone knows of a link to a video showing how to install one of these Bryant breaker hold-down kits I would appreciate it if you posted it here. The instructions that came with this kit are horrible.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't have any video links and have not installed that hold down in many years. If the loadcenter is designed for that hold down there will be a position that has a notch for the black plastic to snap into. Only one position will have this provision. The breaker used must have the hole in the center for the screw to pass through into the black plastic piece.

kwired

Electron manager
1718551559569.png
pretty certain you need to have a breaker with hole for the screw though. I think they are available in 60 to 125 amps, but is different catalog number than those that don't have the hole.

This may not work in all loadcenters. Original ones from before Eaton took over had a hole in the pan in top upper left position. Factor installed main breakers typically came with the main and hold down screw in that postion.

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just did a quick search and it looks like all BR2** have the hole now. As stated above I think earlier versions only 60 amps and above had the holes. The hole is actually a notch in each half of the breaker that when assembled create a round hole. If you look at a 2 pole breaker the notch will be on both sides of each half.

It makes sense for manufacturing. Only one mold type required.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I just did a quick search and it looks like all BR2** have the hole now. As stated above I think earlier versions only 60 amps and above had the holes. The hole is actually a notch in each half of the breaker that when assembled create a round hole. If you look at a 2 pole breaker the notch will be on both sides of each half.

It makes sense for manufacturing. Only one mold type required.
That's incorrect.
Below 60A you need to add a 'B' to the catalog number, e.g. BR230B. They are special order.

TX+ MASTER#4544

Occupation
electrical Code instructor and mentor
2023 NEC
goldstar

Looks like you have got some good advice for your installation.

Here's some additional:
Your code reference is 408.36 (D).
You might need barriers per 215.15 and or 230.62(C) since it's a back fed breaker and the load terminals are energized because the bus bar(s) are still energized.
Barriers are a safety feature for electrical workers when de-energizing is necessary as required in NFPA Electrical Safety in the Workplace.

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
TX+MASTER#4544

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What size breaker? Not all the BR two poles have a screw hole for the breaker
I think that's what was throwing me. This breaker panel is for a small changing shed at a summer camp for kids. So, I was using a 2-P, 50A breaker and didn't see the small hole in the circuit breaker.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
View attachment 2572126
pretty certain you need to have a breaker with hole for the screw though. I think they are available in 60 to 125 amps, but is different catalog number than those that don't have the hole.

This may not work in all loadcenters. Original ones from before Eaton took over had a hole in the pan in top upper left position. Factor installed main breakers typically came with the main and hold down screw in that postion.
Thanks for the expanded view of the instructions. The one that came with the hold-down kit was about 1/4 this size.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, I've given up. There's no rectangular hole in the breaker panel to push the retainer tab into. There's no hole in either the brand new 50 or 60 amp circuit breaker that I have (although that seems easy to correct in the field). I'm guessing this panel and this hold-down kit are not compatible. Thanks again for your replies.

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, I've given up. There's no rectangular hole in the breaker panel to push the retainer tab into. There's no hole in either the brand new 50 or 60 amp circuit breaker that I have (although that seems easy to correct in the field). I'm guessing this panel and this hold-down kit are not compatible. Thanks again for your replies.
Does the loadcenter door show it will accept the hold down accessory?

As far as know hole in the breaker I really surprised the breakers don't have the hole. Can you post a picture of the breakers? Trying to make a hole in the breaker in the field would destroy the breaker. As I mentioned previously the breakers are manufacture with notches on each have that when sandwiched together make the hole.