BS 4568 - British standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an electrical engineer in the US and I am working on a project in the UK, after going through the BS7671 I was left slightly confused about some things but then I got to BS4568, the standard for conduits. I see in this standard there are 4 different corrosion protection levels, but I can not find where to apply these levels and in which situation. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sahib

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by IP rating? This link will make a great cut sheet for my submittal, thank you, but I still do not see how and where to determine the corrosion classification.
Corrosion classification is for the applicability of conduits in a given environment. For example class4 conduit is required for outdoor environment. Perhaps you may have to search for other BS standards for full details.

Besoeker

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by IP rating?
Ingress protection. It's a standard for what can get into the equipment. Protection against solids an liquids. There are two digits. The first refers to solid objexts, the second against liquids. Ranges from IP00 (no protection) to IP68 which is immersion under pressure.

Many electrical panels are IP43 rated which is protection from solid objects greater than 1mm (0.04 inch) and sprays of water from up to 60deg from the vertical.

This covers most common requirements.

Besoeker

Ingress protection. It's a standard for what can get into the equipment. Protection against solids an liquids. There are two digits. The first refers to solid objexts, the second against liquids. Ranges from IP00 (no protection) to IP68 which is immersion under pressure.

Many electrical panels are IP43 rated which is protection from solid objects greater than 1mm (0.04 inch) and sprays of water from up to 60deg from the vertical.

www.europacomponents.com lists in the back of their catalogue.

Ah, ok, I see, now that makes sense. I believe everything is IP2X / Fonn4. I am not sure what the Fonn4 means, but now I understand IP2X.

Besoeker

Ah, ok, I see, now that makes sense. I believe everything is IP2X.
Yes. Most components here (UK) are IP2X and most customer specs mandate it. It means that you can't easily stick your fingers on live terminals. Even if you are daft enough to try.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

It sounds like the NEMA ratings for enclosures over here. Is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.