Buchanon or barrel crimp sleave wire connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
are you saying that a klein crimping tool cannot be used with any terminal other than those made by klein? if so, why would klein bother to make such a tool since they don't make terminals.

PetrosA

are you saying that a klein crimping tool cannot be used with any terminal other than those made by klein? if so, why would klein bother to make such a tool since they don't make terminals.

It could be that the crimp made with a Klein tool and a given terminal won't be UL listed unless the terminal manufacturer designates the Klein tool as one that qualifies. I'd love to find out the answer, especially considering that most of the high end crimp tools are made by three companies (one in Sweden, one in Switzerland, the other in Germany) and most of the mid range tools are made by one or two companies in Taiwan and China. So basically, multiple branded crimp tools could all be the exact same model and meet the same specs.

The most important question is, how important is UL listing for a crimp termination?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It could be that the crimp made with a Klein tool and a given terminal won't be UL listed unless the terminal manufacturer designates the Klein tool as one that qualifies. I'd love to find out the answer, especially considering that most of the high end crimp tools are made by three companies (one in Sweden, one in Switzerland, the other in Germany) and most of the mid range tools are made by one or two companies in Taiwan and China. So basically, multiple branded crimp tools could all be the exact same model and meet the same specs.

The most important question is, how important is UL listing for a crimp termination?

UL does not list the crimp itself, as that is labor and not something UL had any supervision over.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
UL does not list the crimp itself, as that is labor and not something UL had any supervision over.
You don't think that could fall under using the listed item according the manufacturer's instructions? Does that only apply if the instructions formed part of the listing document?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You don't think that could fall under using the listed item according the manufacturer's instructions? Does that only apply if the instructions formed part of the listing document?

(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment
shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions
included in the listing or labeling.

The use of the word "or" strongly suggests that either the instructions in the listing or the labeling can be used. However if you look at the term "labeling" as defined by the code and by how UL actually uses it, it is not real clear just what it might mean.

The crimp it self has nothing to do with the connector directly, although obviously it has some relationship to whether the end result is acceptable.

One could make a good case that the listing or labeling instructions of the tool manufacturer are just as good as those of the connector manufacturer.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
...One could make a good case that the listing or labeling instructions of the tool manufacturer are just as good as those of the connector manufacturer.
If the tool instructions specified the manufacturer and part number of the connectors that it can be used with, I would be ok with that.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
If the tool instructions specified the manufacturer and part number of the connectors that it can be used with, I would be ok with that.
The code does not regulate the use of tools just products 90.1(C). :)
According to the UL 486C listing the only time you need to use a specific tool is if the manufacturer states it. Part of it may be included with same manufacturers tool or tool case but not different mfr's tool.
Unless that buchannon box states a specific tool is required that old school electrician is free to judge the sutibility of any blunt object for making the crimp (wether or not the tool idintifies the crimp).
If panduit or T&B say to use a specific tool then thats the only tool to use with that crimp, if they dont stipulate a tool then anything goes, because UL has tested the crimp with tools they deem an electrician would have selected as described in my earlier post.

UL 486C Section 25 Marking:
25.14 A procedure that must be followed for proper assembly of a wire connector to a conductor shall be
described as follows:
a) Use of a Specific Tool Required ? When a connector is intended to be connected to a
conductor or conductors by a specific tool
See also UL white book ZMKQ:
white book (C) UL 2013 UL said:
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Use of specific tools ? A specific tool and die used to assemble a wire
connector to a conductor is identified on the connector, or on or within the
unit container of the connector. The identification consists of a catalog or
type designation, color-coding, die index number, or equivalent means.
Color-coding of the crimp barrel is common.

Cheers and happy crimping

PetrosA

What about when 'controlled cycle' crimping tools are used?

I think Tortuga's point about UL486C Sec. 25 answers that. If Panduit or T&B or Ideal or whoever labels the container of crimps and lists specific tools to use to achieve a UL listed termination, the only way to do that is per the instructions. Those tools seem to be controlled cycle most often, but I think there are a few non controlled cycle ones that a few manufacturers accept, depending on the crimp.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go back to using non controlled cycle crimp tools for anything insulated and larger than 22 AWG...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... Those tools seem to be controlled cycle most often, but I think there are a few non controlled cycle ones that a few manufacturers accept, depending on the crimp. ...
I think that most of the connectors for wire #10 and smaller list non-controlled crimp tools in their lists of "identified" tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.