Buck-Boost Transformer Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skubie

I need 240V power for back-up battery equipment (~10 kWh) and only have a 120/208V supply. The charging/discharging rate would be 80A on the high side. Can I use a b/b transformer and will I be able to feed back power in the reverse direction?

Thanks,
Skubie

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Why not from 208 to 240?
You could, but the result would be 240 phase to phase and the equipment might well be designed for 120/240 with no more than 120 to ground.
As long as the equipment can handle a phase-to-phase voltage of 240, then you can use a boost transformer with the primary connected from phase to phase to produce it.
Rather than go into all of that, I just gave the more general answer that 120 to 240 would be OK (since that can produce 120/240 single phase 3-wire.)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I need 240V power for back-up battery equipment (~10 kWh) and only have a 120/208V supply. The charging/discharging rate would be 80A on the high side. Can I use a b/b transformer and will I be able to feed back power in the reverse direction?
Can you provide more info on the back-up system...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm not sure that I follow...how do you get 120/240 three wire from 120V using a buck-boost transformer?
The boost transformer would have to be 120-120, not necessarily isolating, and would be wired up as an autotransformer with the center tap to neutral. Maybe you would not call that a boost transformer, but the difference is quantitative not qualitative. :)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The boost transformer would have to be 120-120, not necessarily isolating, and would be wired up as an autotransformer with the center tap to neutral. Maybe you would not call that a boost transformer, but the difference is quantitative not qualitative. :)
Including the necessary transformer size and cost...

Status
Not open for further replies.