Bucket truck...yes or no

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger3829

I have a bucket van with 29' boom. It has been very handy for several jobs. couldn't have done several others without it.

Not really sure it's cost effective.

It's also really good for hanging xmas lights, trimming trees........:smile:

BackInTheHabit

I operate a bucket truck for for the Electrical Contractor I am employed with. It has a 50 foot boom, outriggers and a jib. I service light poles in three shopping centers now. It can be lucrative but it is also competitive. Other than POCO's I don't think any other EC's have a larger bucket truck than the one I use. It's an older truck but runs. My employer is looking into a bigger bucket truck at this time. Most larger bucket trucks require a CDL to operate them. (I have a Class A CDL) Make sure the bucket truck would suit your needs and that you would not need a CDL to operate one.

SiddMartin

FYI, most shopping centers have 40' poles, which you would need a 50' boom to work on them. (in the event you have to boom over something to reach it.)

I operate a 50' w/ outriggers and a 2 man bucket when they need me too, 2man bucket is definetly a plus, it gives you more space for tools, material, etc.

macmikeman

Figure out how many days a year you will truly use it. Next figure out the cost per year of owning and operating it. Don't forget depreciation and also the tax implications of that,(helps a bit in offset of purchase). Do a bit of division and find out how much you will have to charge a customer to send it out based on above. If you think you will exceed the cost and make a profit, go for it. If not, buy a boat and go fishing, its more fun...

guitarchris

bth0mas20 said:
I did buy a trencher and it paid for itself in a couple month.....alot of detached garages and piers.

Our company bought one in the '70's that was refurbed by Ditch Witch and It paid for itself sometime ago.....actually could stand to be rebuilt again. The trenching is a no brainer but, we also use ours to start holes for saw services. We dig down as far as it will go THEN use the post hole diggers. Saves a ton of time vs. hand digging.

I would think that a Bucket would be expensive to have sitting unless it was used on a regular basis. I'm not sure what it cost to rent a lift but that might be the way to go.

macmikeman

There is another factor in this. I used to own man lifts. I was told back then that even though my bids were higher, one of the reasons (one)we got a lot more work was because they knew we came with our own lifts to the job. The other guys were dependant on rental companies. There was a boom going on and lifts were not always available. If you have the equipment, the jobs seem to find you. The same was true for the fiber optic splicer and time domain equipment I had also. I never advertized but the equipment stayed busy all the time.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Its like any other capital purchase. Its a good idea if you can make money with it, a bad one if you can't. I doubt anyone here knows enough about your situation to make that judgment for you.

The company I work for has a bare minimum of such things. Every now and then it would be nice to have something, but the reality is that you can often make do without, or rent for a whole lot less than buying something that will not get much use.

Like some others have said, figure out the true cost to own, insure, maintain, etc. and figure out what you have to charge to do the work. Then try to get some contracts or see what the business would be like, and if it will pay for itself or just be a money pit.

If you can make the numbers work, with extra $ left over for future repairs (even if it's checked over, there's really no guarantee that an older or higher mileage engine will never break down or not have serious mechanical issues) than good for you!

If not, you might want to look into investing that money (with a broker, or a CMFP) into the stock market, so you have yourself a nice rainy day fund when the work dries out, or you have some other equipment break.

On the other hand, you can try renting a truck to see if you can make that pay. The rental costs and the cost to own might be similar.

Personally, a scissors lift might pay off better than a boom truck. At least you can get that indoors to do a high ceiling church or interior of a mall in most cases. A boom truck would be pretty difficult to manage in that case!

Don't forget, service equipment can't and shouldn't just pay for itself, it should pay for you too!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Sometimes a good piece of equipment can easily pay for itself. A guy I knew bought himself one of the then new Greenlee power benders. Said it paid for itself in a few months on a single project.

macmikeman

petersonra said:
Sometimes a good piece of equipment can easily pay for itself. A guy I knew bought himself one of the then new Greenlee power benders. Said it paid for itself in a few months on a single project.

I can vouch for that one also. Good call.

Bucket trucks

Bucket trucks

If you do decide to get it, wrap (no decals! easier to cleanup if you decide to get rid of it) that thing with all your info. Know your lighting, there are new electronic ballasts for HID sylvania is coming out with that will save you on labor. I do have contracts and do subcontract (piece) work for the national guy (doesn't pay the bills to have it sit). Watch the cost of fuel, I have started adding a fuel charge to keep up with the diesel. Look at your liablity for injury coverage. If a rented/leased piece of equipment causes injury you have less exposure to lawsuit. Also, if the boom is insulated, check on the last certification date on it. I would go after Hospitals and City projects because they will pay the invoice on time, 99% of the time. Make sure to remind the potential customer that a dim parking lot is their responsibilty, especially for someone's saftey!

Good luck on your desicion.

Status
Not open for further replies.